Kenwood AR-105 Receivers

Dobly ProLogic Surround (5 Speakers Outputs, No Subwoofer Output); 200 Watts Max Output; SRS support; Remote Included

Submitted by Ben Aultowski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I haven't owned many recievers, but I think that the 105VR would make a good receiver for the casual listener. It has two video inputs for your VCR and DVD players, good bass in Stero Mode, a great remote, and very easy to understand contols. In fact, I think that simplicity is it's best feature: I bought it from a pawn shop without a manual and was able to access all its features within a couple of minutes. One feature that I love is the ability to turn the receiver on and off with the remote; other receivers' remotes I've used have only let you turn the unit off.

I wouldn't recommend it to a real audio enthusiast, though. In the Surround Sound modes, the 105VR can't provide enough power to my speakers to produce much bass. Also, there is no way to change the volume levels of the Center or Rear Channels seperately from the Front Channel. This was frustrating because the Front Channels lose most of their power, the Center Channel drowns everything else out, and the Rear Channel is barely audible. Switching from Surround to 3-Stereo or Stereo Modes solves this problem, but you lose the surround effects. Also, some features, like the Sound Level controls, can only be accessed through the remote. Lose the remote, and you're out of luck. Finally, there is only one AC plug on the back of the unit; if you own another component besides a CD changer, you'll have to plug its power cord into the wall.

Just because I have listed a lot of negatives doesn't mean this reciever is a piece of junk. I paid $120 for it, and I think I got a good deal. However, if you are serious about your music, you'd be better off spending it somewhere else (Like a Sony STR-D1015!)

SFLAT: