Harman Kardon HK3370 Receivers

3.29/5 (7 Reviews)

HARMAN KARDON STEREO RECEIVER, 70 WPC, 5 AUDIO INPUTS, SUB OUT => Model HK3370

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
How (not) to buy a stereo...

I had this very old stereo with a Nikko receiver, a Philips multi-CD player and a pair of RFT east german (old history) three way bookshelf speakers which I bought for almost nothing (about 500 US dollars for the set). The sound was good, very lively and very dynamic, but not very clear. After almost 15 years, I decided it was time for a change. First, I found a cheap pair of Jamo two way bookshelf speakers (E 601) which had very good reviews. I bought them for a 100$ and put them on my old stereo. The sound was much clearer than with the RFT's but it had lost its dynamics and bass. I decided (god knows why) that the receiver and the CD player were responsible for the bad quality of the sound. So I went to a HIFI shop were they told me that Harman Kardon was the best one could buy if he didn't have enough money for NAD. I came back with a HK 3370 receiver and a HK 8380 multi-CD player and connected them with the Jamo E 601. All the fun I had listening to music disappeared immediately: no dynamics and an incredibly boring sound. So, here I am with two receivers, two multi-CD players and two pairs of bookshelf speakers. The best to do, I figured out, was trying all possible combinations and finding the best possible arrangement. What I discovered is that the receivers and speakers were not so easy to choose from but that there was an incredible difference between the two CD players, Philips being much better than HK. So, I ended up with the HK 3370 receiver, the Philips Cd player and the old RFT speakers. I could have kept the NIKKO receiver but this was just to hard given the fact that a great amount of money was spend for the HK.

Several month later, there was an offer for JMLab Chorus 715 speakers in a local shop and I could test them with the HK 3370 receiver and FL8380 CD-player. Now, here was a real change. With these high quality and bi-wired speakers, which have a quiet crispy sound, the HK products became able to produce an interesting sound. Listening to music was fun again and there was a global improvement compared to the (good) old stereo I had.

Different conclusions can be drawn from this stupid little story (except the one that I will never buy a stereo again without listening to it for hours):

1) HK products are bad, not on the technical level but in the sound they produce
2) HK products are good, but they need very good speakers (especially in the high's) to produce what they are build for

One suitable conclusion could be that HK wants to be in a segment of the market which is neither audiophile nor your usual asian cheap stereo model. In this part of the market there is a small risk that you make products which cannot produce the very good sound of the high-end elements (image, clarity, coherence, etc.) and which are also loosing some of the basic features of the cheap HIFI components (dynamics, fun). The result then is not something hybrid but just a totally boring product. Maybe HK did that mistake and lost its reputation in the process.

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
How (not) to buy a stereo...

Submitted by Steven T a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used this receiver on and off for a little over a year. It is a good unit to have as a backup if your primary/favorite amp breaks down (which I have had plenty of experience with in the last year). The sound cannot compare to any of the integrated amps I have used, including a 12 year old Harman Kardon which cost less than the 3370. The sound is dry and lacks dynamics, but the soundstage is decent. As the previous reviewer noted, the tuner is very low quality. I like to listen to FM radio as background music, but this receiver does not make it enjoyable. It is like listening to a shelf system. The amp has plenty of power, and is probably not the problem with this receiver. I suspect the preamp is to blame for it's lack of quality sound. The receiver does have preamp out/main in jacks, so it can be used with a better quality preamp. I have used the power amp section of the HK3370 with a Denon AVR and had good results, but reconnecting the internal preamp brings back the muddy bass and lack of musicality. I have now retired the unit back to it's box in favor of a new NAD C320BEE, and there is simply no comparison. The new amp has not even broken in yet, but surpasses the sound quality of the HK3370 by leaps and bounds. Bass is much tighter, instruments sound more natural, and the soundstage just opens up. If you can find this receiver at $150.00 or less, (preferably less) it may be a good deal for someone who listens to music in the backround, but for serious listening I suggest an investment in a decent integrated such as NAD or Rotel. A separate tuner also makes a world of difference if you listen to FM.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by joshcloud9 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased a HK3370 and HK3470 from Harman direct, refurb units. Both appeared new and unused.

Both sound sonically very similar, perhaps the more powerful 3470 drives my 4 ohm B&W Minipods slightly better?

Amlifier section:

Sounds a fairly open soundstage, but has a definite warm or smoothed-over sound that is not my personal preference.

Tuner section:

The tuner section is awful, I purchased a Technics ST-K55 tuner (formerly part of a cheap psuedo "seperates" system) for $29 on eBay and it comprehensively outperforms the HK tuner in all aspects!

A/B comparisons are strikingly different even with just a 3" trailing wire adapter (Terk antenna) as the only antenna for the Technics it walks all over the HK!

I am returning the HK units and await the arrival of my Creek 4330R :)

Purchased At:   eBay/Harman Audio

Submitted by gustavog a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Got this receiver as an interim amp while I was moving as I got rid of some of my old gear. I listen to 2 channel stereo so really don't care for home theater. For the price this a very nice amp. I used it with a pair of B&W CDM1 NTs and would drive them very easily.

It has been replaced with an Arcam A32 integrated and obviously the difference is evident but I repeat that at the price it is the best it gets in stereo. I considered a similarly priced Onkyo but the speaker terminals were very cheap

Purchased At:   Crutchfield