Harman Kardon HK 3480 Receivers

• 30 AM/FM station presets
  • Three-step dimmable fluorescent display

Submitted by Robert McGreevy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
Very good receiver for the money. Remote is very hard to read. Vmax feature is total crap sounds like the music is coming out of steel drum.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by meirco11 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
the harman-kardon hk3480 is a very good 2 ch unit. 120watt per ch,it is very strong power to push many kind of speakers.(my hk3480 hook to polkaudio rtia7)after owning a few units from diffrent manufactorer(sorry about my bad english)i can tell that the hk3480 is a great stereo recever,he has very smooth and warm sound,he is solid and powerfull and he has a very cool looks.but cool looks is not the main thing here,the main thing is that the hk3480 has a great imaging,soundstage and resolution,he has fast and very articulate bass and not less importent thing:the hk3480 has a strong build quality and ease of use,
the hk3480 has very good FM reception,clean and clear tuner sound.the hk3480 can drive 4 ohm speakers and its very good to my polk LSI9.the remote of the hk3480 is very good its simple but never let down.you dont must to put the remote near or close to the receiver to rise volume or to do any other action.
i love my hk3480 and very happy that i have one.for second amp (or even first)the hk3480 is a geat unit.
my ROTEL RA1070C is in another world but not forget that the rotel is much much more expensive.
last words:for all of you out there who love stereo music,the harman-kardon hk3480 is a great unit for that.
thank you all and enjoy.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Knucklehead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
After owning an HK520 5.1 receiver for many years, I decided to replace the old Sony STR920 2 channel in the living room, so I bought this unit. I'm very happy I did.
It sounds so much better than the Sony. I didn't realize how bad it was.
The Sony may have had more muscle but the 3480 is cleaner sound, by far. I drive two Infinity IL-40 3 way speakers and a JBL E150P sub. I don't listen at high volume levels, no need when you can hear everything at moderate levels. Usually around -30db or so. I had a set of IL-50's and couldn't decide which set of speakers to keep and which to sell until I bought the 3480. The IL-40's are just a little bit better in the mid range than the IL-50's and they are a little bit smaller and lighter. The IL-50's got sold.

For the guy who left a review on this receiver and complained that it won't drive his Bose 901's: good God man, get some decent (read efficient) speakers and you won't need to crank the power up to space heater settings to get good music. Come to think of it, the 901's aren't really capable of good sound, only loud. Yes, they are loud, but don't produce the full spectrum. Oh well, die-hards abound. I too was impressed when I was 21 and heard them for the first time. My my how times have changed, and so has the sound, for the better, I may add.

Purchased At:   Harmon Audio

Submitted by talldude777 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is a great stereo receiver if you get a good one. Some of the reviews will describe how HK had some quality issues with some of these units. I bought a refurbished model some years ago, and it had major issues som I send it back for a refund. I ended up buying something else at the time.
Then I decided to get another one recently from an individual on ebay, and this one works great. No lemon.
I really like the style of these units, except for the remote. I use a Harmony Remote so it is not an issue for me.
I really like the fact the can drive 4-8 ohm speakers. I am using a VMPS Larger passive sub and some Polk Monitor 10B's and this receiver does a great job.
Sound is very smooth and detailed.
VMaxx is horrible. Maybe its sounds good for home theatre, but it sucks for good old analog stereo.

Submitted by jimczar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
I read good reviews about this receiver, and bought a refurbished unit from HK online on eBay. First unit arrived with distortion in the left channel. 1 month later a replacement arrived which worked for 5 minutes then the amp shut down. Took 10 days to get HK customer service to arrange a refund. The 7480 may be a good unit when it works, but given the number of refurb units and the problems I had, I suspect major reliability issues.

Purchased At:   eBay

HK 3480 receiver + Magnepan MMGs?

Hi, I'm trying to put together an acceptable 2-channel stereo setup for <$1,000. I'm looking at the Harman/Kardon 3480 receiver and the Magnepan MMGs. My questions: 1) Does the 3480 have sufficient juice to drive the MMGs? 2) Any other thoughts on this setup? thanks, MikeRead More »

Floor Standers for HK-3480??

Hi all. My brother has just purchased a HK-3480 off of ebay, and asked me what speakers to buy. I've never heard this receiver, but it's rated @120 watts per channel. I suggested some floorstanders. Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good match? His budget is approx $500Read More »

Experiences w/ Subwoofer + HK-3480?

Hi all, I have a pair of Athena AS-F2 floorstanding speakers and a Velodyne VA-1012XII subwoofer. I'm thinking of purchasing a stereo receiver with a subwoofer output. The one receiver that seems to fit the bill is the HK-3480. However, I've been concerned by the fact that the HK-3480 doesn' ... Read More »

HK 3480 and CS 99a's

Hi. I'm currently using a Harman Kardon 3480 2 channel stereo receiver as main home entertainment receiver. I have it hooked up to my Widescreen Toshiba HDTV via fixed audio outs. Components include satellite receiver, dvd player, PS2, vcr, etc. I've been reluctant to upgrade to a new digital 5 ... Read More »

HK 3480 & Sub-outs

I have a Harman Kardon HK3480 receiver connected to a Music Hall turntable, a pair of Polk speakers and a DefTech sub. I originally connected the speakers via the sub using the speaker inputs, but the receiver also has a sub out, so I thought I would try that. The problem is that originally I could ... Read More »

FGH 26: