Harman Kardon HK 3470 Receivers

4.32/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

AM/FM Stereo Receiver With VMAx®. With the HK 3470, Harman Kardon opens a new era in audio performance. Its most powerful stereo receiver in 27 years (100 watts x 2, 20Hz -- 20kHz, <0.07

Submitted by Claver Fernandes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
We have an HK 3470 model installed in our office board room 6 years back and the system was working perfectly fine. Sound effect and everything was fine. The thing is that now the volume control knob does not function well. Is it repairable or replaceable I would like to know. Otherwise the system is in good and fantastic condition.And what would be the cost of the same. I am based in Mumbai, India. Please let me know by Email

Thanks
Claver Fernandes

Submitted by Roman C. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
I was working part time back then at Fry's electronics (Fremont CA) and I'm in charge in electronic stock. I noticed this thing sitting at the back shelf just collecting dust, of course its brand new then. So on my break I came about reading outside specification of this box and since I was taking electronics I've learned that the best sound music is being measured by THD. Which in layman terms called Total Harmonic Distortion. And my professor said anything less than 0.08THD is and excellent equipment.

Then I noticed this is even better because it has only 0.07 % and with my discount got it under a hudred bucks. Took it home and paired it with my Bose speakers. At first, the sound quality was alright more bass than treble but when I paired it with an Equaizer which a lot of people just ingored it for the past and now. I'm telling you the sound is perfectly clear and crystal. It's like openning the horse power of this system.

So for all of you out there if you see any equalizer buy it and pair it with this receiver you will hear a lot more difference. I listen to classical music and every now and then. I attend an opera house in NY where they play classical music. The experience is just listening in my living room and of course also located in NY.

Submitted by John L. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased a factory remanufactured unit on e-bay at the HK Store. Used in combination with Premier Acoustic Tower Speakers ($250 pr. delivered price),
Outlaw Audio .5 meter copper interconnects ($50), Onkyo DX-390 CD Changer($165), DuaL 12" active subwoofer ($125), and heavy gauge Monster bi-wired speaker cables ($200) yields undistorted, articulate, well defined, high resolution, sound.

It may not be analogous to driving an Infiniti or Lexus automobile. However, is there anything wrong with a Camry? Better to put the cost savings into your IRA
account or a 529 Plan for your children's college savings. I think you would need to spend a lot more to achieve a substantial improvement in overall sound quality.

The HK has been an excellent performer. Be sure to use in a well ventilated rack or audio stand. It gets warm quickly. No, it doesn't run hot. However, it does need adequate ventilation.

Purchased At:   Harmon Kardon Store

Submitted by Pure_Amp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I hope you will find this interesting.

Wifee bought this for me, as I had been a proud owner of a HK from college days, that being a PM-645VXI. The PM645VXI is a true bad boy, you will appreciate this more in just a bit.

I have been always unimpressed with the sound quality from my HK3470. Sure, it has power to spare; it can make you ears bleed, but the imaging is just not there. I am not an audiophile, actually deah in one ear. The reason my one ear is damaged, as I have always loved, loud music. But appreciated good quality reproduction. As for good quality reproduction, this HK-3470 is lame. Just tonight, I finally am happy with it. I am using it as a pre-amp(remote control) for my stellar PM-645 vxi. I am amazed my "wimpy" 60 watts per channel integrated amp from a 1992 purchase, blows the doors off this more recent, 100 watts per channel HK. I guess, HK has gotten better at specmanship than high-quality , high-performance audio.

I saw a review from a dude at zero-distortion dot com that finally rang through to me. I am not an EE but an ME, so, most of this stuff is above my head. But when he pointed to the fact that a massive line-filter greatly helped to improve the imaging of this receiver, that confimed my suspicions that this piece of electronics is as over-rated as Santa Claus.

Yes, it has some jouce, but just don't listen too carefully!

I think I am moving on to Rotel or Outlaw seperates. It looks like they are both in the business of offering products that deliver!

- Former HK guy.

Purchased At:   N/A

Submitted by lee lane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
well, this is my first receiver, before now, i would buy a mini shelf system, oh, i was such a fool. now, i can actually feel the music deep in my soul. this reciever is terrific. i bought it brand new and paid a lot more than most people, i don't do e bay or buy refurbs, but i think it's worth every penny. looking back, however, knowing what i know now about the audio world, i would save up and buy a more high end receiver. see, i only listen to cd's, and it has tons of inputs, tape, phono, etc., that i've paid for and will never use. i use a simple 3 speaker stereo setup, left, right, and a powered sub.this recever if, nothing else, will give you mucho power, and pretty clean sound to go with it. for the price, it really is your best bet, well, no actually a year after i bought this bad boy, hk came out with the hk 3475, same model except it delivers 110 watts per channel as opposed to 100 wpc this one delivers.dosen't matter, until i rent a place that i don't share a wall with neighbors, i can't crank it up anyhow. i never go past halfway on the volume control, and as you may find, you don't need to. now here comes the bad stuff about the receiver. v max is horrible, a wasted feature at best. the remote lacks some control, example, bass and treble control, and poor volume control. the rear speaker inputs don't allow for spade terminals, minor inconvenience, and the receiver itself runs extremely hot in a short amount of time, to remedy this i bought a quiet fan and propped it to cool it down. exterior design tends to collect lots of dirt, dust, and prints, so your always wiping it off. overall, good starter receiver, till you can afford something better, such as a receiver with a .5 distortion or less, this one has a .7 thd.

Purchased At:   crutchfield