Harman Kardon HK 3380 Receivers

• Dimmable fluorescent display
  • Even a nine-step, 90-minute sleep timer

Submitted by JerzyDevil a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased the HK 3380 to replace an aging NAD that had plenty of power and overhead but no channel separation or musicality. The NAD seemed to need a serious overhaul which was not worth the cost. I decide to try the bargain priced HK before upgrading to pricier equipment. Even running somewhat inefficient Vienna Acoustics speakers, the HK does just fine. Of course the sheer power of more expensive stereos might be absent, but for the price I am not complaining.

Purchased At:   Harman Store on Ebay

Submitted by becleave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver to replace an HK avr20 II which had owned for 3 years.
For the bargain price of $130, I received a remanufactured unit complete with
manual, 3 year warranty(providing you register),a small antenna, and a remote
control including the batteries. This is a two channel stereo, no surround.
The stereo delivers a crisp, clear sound reproduction,with plenty of kick for
my listening enjoyment.
The styling is clean and elegant,the controls are basic and do not interfere with the
esthetics.
I love the blue light on the volume knob, which appears
as a crescent shape from almost any angle! Or you can dim the lighting in three
steps to only the power buttons blue glow.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by paladinmrb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was using a aging, classic Pioneer SX-3700 reciever for a den computer system. The Pioneer was starting to have some noise issues and channel balance issues. I did a little looking and comparsion shopping in the now relatively small 2-channel reciever market. I found a good deal on the Harmon/Kardon HK-3800. My range was 200 dollars. I paid $199.99 with free shipping promotion at JM.com. The unit has an MSRP of $245.00.

Factors that influenced my purchase included functional features and aesthetics of the unit.

The HK-3380 has 6 inputs: 1 CD, 1 Tape Loop, 3 Video Loops, and a Phono Stage Input. A video out monitor is also included. It also included rarer features, a pair of L and R subwoofer out RCA terminals which are master-volume controlled. There is no active sub-bass management...but if you know what you're doing with the controls on the subwoofer (Phase, Crossover, and Volume) then you can manually adjust your system...not as easy as some AVR's or Surround processors though... Also included are Pre-Out and Amp-In terminals, which come jumpped but the jumpers can be removed. I found this quite valuable as this unit can have a graphic equalizer added (not that I would...but that I can makes me feel special), or an out-board surround proccessor (I have an old, old Pro-Logic Adcom unit lying around...hmmm) could be added. On top of the rich set of features, the unit is tastefully designed with a flourecent blue lit volume knob, ice-blue readout, display dimmer functions, and crisp black-on-silver modern finish.

Upon recieving the product I installed it in place of the afforementioned Pioneer.

Let me explain the accompanying components:

This reciever's primary function was to power a computer stereo system. The computer's sound card was hooked to the reciever via a mini-stereo jack to L/R RCA splitter cable. The speakers used were Klipsch Reference RSX-5 Bookshelf Monitors and a Klipsch ProMedia SWS 8" Powered Subwoofer unit. The subwoofer was connected to the Pioneer amp via an RCA cable off of an available Line-Level Tape Record output (the Klipsch SWS features a remote volume knob, and the computer controlls the system volume). With the HK-3380 I was able to use the Subwoofer-Out jacks instead.

After making the appropriate connections to the HK-3380 I powered up the computer to play some music.

I do not download MP3 music. I have a dedicated hard-drive on my PC to which I rip full PCM CD-Quality audio tracks. Therefore I played back full CD-Quality music into the HK-3380 powered system.

I was amazed at how poorly the HK-3800 sounded in comparison to the vintage Pioneer Unit. It failed to image as clearly as the SX-3700. The soundfield had much less depth and clarity. The bass was over loud and too punchy. This is with the eq contour knobs in "null" position. Thus I found myself endlessly turning the "bass" contour down and the "treble" contour up, as well as cutting the SWS's relative volume back a large portion. Midrange was non-existant. Vocals sounded flat and undefined.

I am sadly dissapointed in the HK-3380. For $200 dollars (and that's not even the HK's MSRP) I wouldn't have thought a 20 year old reciver with dirty, fickle terminals in need of DeOxIt would have so handily beat a brand new unit such as the HK.

I will allow the HK-3380 to burn in by hooking up some mules and playing some burn-in noise to see if it opens up after a few days...but the difference was so huge I am not hopeful.

Anyway, I don't have much experience with the sound of many new recievers since I run components. Therefore I can't say if this is atypical of other reciever's in the HK's price range. Therefore I will neither recommend nor dissuade the buyer from the unit suffice to say that any serious audio enthusiast may wish to persue vintage equipment...

Purchased At:   JM.com

Submitted by life_is2 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
great product. i purchased from harman kardon direct on ebay. got a great deal. i am very pleased w/purchase. great sound for price. i would recommend this product to anyone. i am running a pair of cerwin-vega 10 inch floor standing speakers rated at 200 watts. this little amp pushes them just fine. the best characteristic of this receiver is that it doesn't over do the highs (like onkyo receivers), just perfect sound all the way across the frequency band. would no doubt buy another for double the money. had and avr525 for the home theatre and never has skipped a beat. i know this will be a product that i get a lot of use out of for years to come. recommend 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   ebay(harman kardon)

Submitted by poneal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
I needed a standard old stereo receiver for my bedroom and did not want to pay a fortune for it. I noticed this on ebay and ended up winning it for $135. Z-stock but carrying the full factory warranty. First, the receiver arrived and it looked brand new. No scratches, etc. Everything worked. Nice power, etc. It even came with batteries for the remote which was kind of toylike. The amp section is definitely HK. Nice lower end thump and plenty of power. I keep mine at -45 ot -40 for most listening. The radio works fine and came with supplied am and fm antenna and 75ohm to 300ohm adapter. All I can say is that for $135.00 I definitely feel that I got more than what I paid for. Way to go HK. I did not have the smell thing or have any problems with this unit.

Purchased At:   HK online ebay store