Harman Kardon HK-330c Receivers

4.42/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $240.00

45 wpc x2 from the 80's

Submitted by Robert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2014

Bottom Line:
I brought this HK330c in 1974 the year I got out high school still going strong in 2014 only had it in the shop once to replace bulb. I have a pair of epicure 10" that came with the system I now have two pro-style turntables with the system and it still beats anything out there real jazz never sound

Submitted by IMME a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
The HK 330c is only rated at 20 wpc. It was the bottom of the line receiver fro Harman Kardon. Basically a decent budget receiver.

Submitted by Razamataz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have never heard a receiver sound as amazingly warm and clean as the 330c.Whatever H/K did with this thing they did it right.First of all..it looks cool! The green backlit display is awesome looking. I bought mine for $75 off Craigslist and the guy threw in a pair of crappy speakers,wire and some useless stands.There was no light at all except the power on/off but the sound was full on.I took a chance that all it needed was some new bulbs and $25 dollars later she was restored back to her full glory! I am running it with 2 pairs of of EPI 100's a DK 10 band EQ,Sony BluRay DVD/CD and Hitachi Turntable.I have friends who have spent thousands of dollars on Audio Equipment who come over and weep when they hear this setup! The only drawback...if you can call it that.. is the fact that it only sounds good at mid to moderate volumes.If you want room shaking dance beats this is not for you!!Since I live in an apartment this is really not a problem...more of a plus if anything.I can have amazing sound with crisp high's and solid well defined bass(thank's in part to the EPI 100's) and not totally piss off the neighbours...lol..If you ever see one of these...Grab It!!! You won't be dissapointed

Submitted by Rush2112 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
There is something about h/k's 330c that just seems right. This particular garage sale find meets all the criteria for something that one wants to keep and enjoy listening to.... it sounds wonderful, works perfectly and is cosmetically like new. There are receivers collecting dust in my closet that have more power, better specs... yet they sit. Perhaps that says it all.

I use this receiver in my bedroom and drive a pair of Polk Audio RT25's as well as a pair of JBL 2500's (both garage sale finds of $15.00 and $10.00 respectively) which spaced around the room yeild a big open feeling to small 12'x14' room. It drives this set-up with ease and provides plenty of volume.

In a nutshell, I've spent countless hours enjoying this receiver over the past couple years. H/K did it right.

Purchased At:   garage sale

Submitted by R.S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I inhereted my Harmon Kardon 330C receiver from my grandparents. I can remember the day they bought it (back in the 70's) along with a turrntable and a pair of Altec Lansing Model 3 speakers. My grandfather put on a Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass album, and I was floored!

This was at a time when quality audio equipment was much more poplular than today. Heck, there was probably a dozen high end stereo shops in our area at the time. Most of my high school friends and I would frequent these shops regularly. We would be ooohed & ahhhed when they would show off their McIntosh amplifiers and Klipsh La Scala's, etc. as they played well produced Supertramp and Emerson Lake and Palmer albums. They all had had huge President's Day sales (actually it was the time for them to get rid of last year's models... I remember picking a Marantz cassette player for 55 dollars!). Harmon Kardon was a decent name at the time. Sadly, times have changed. There's about three high end stereo shops in the area now, and most of their showrooms have been taken over with home theater equipment.

I have a pair of Snell Type D speakers that are bi-amped, and I use the 330c to power the mids and highs. Along with my modifed Dynaco tube pre-amp, the clarity of these speakers is truly amazing! I'm hearing nuances that I've never heard before. I was listening to my Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson CD, and I detected a constant thump when Oscar started off on one of his piano solos. I freaked out at first, and then realized it was Ben Webster tapping his foot on the floor along with the beat!

I've often thought about upgrading my amplifier(s) for my Snell Type Ds, but have a feeling that I may be wasting a lot of money. I'm very happy with the Dynaco/Harmon Kardon combo for the mids and highs.

Purchased At:   Inhereted from Grand