Denon DRA-685 Receivers

4.5/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

100 wpc receiver

Submitted by Audioman00 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Bottom Line:
Very good 2 channel performer, plenty of clean high current power from Denon, no bells and whistles just clean simple power, will run 4 ohm spkrs. no problem.. sleek clean design and very clear, natural sound. Needless to say this is a very strong performer in the 2 channel market and Audiphile sound and build quality.

Submitted by Abit2Wild a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product to replace my 25 year old Pioneer 1050 receiver. The 1050 was an oputstanding reciever with incredible sound. The capacitors were the size of a Pepsi can. It was tired so I purchased the Denon 685. I read all the reviews posted here and decided to give it a try. It sounded pretty decent in the store but in the home was a whole different story. I gave the reciever a good 100 hours of break in time and decided to test it out. I was very dissapointed to say the least. All vocals, male or female sounded extremely hollow as though they were singing through a tube. The midrange was flat and bass response was very sluggish and flat. The highs were ok, but the midrange was so badly noticeable I could not stand to listen anymore. Yes, the poser outout was ok, but it is not a true 100 watts per channel. I returned it and purchased a Rotel RA-1070 integrated amp. Wallah, my system sound great again. Yeas the Rotel costs $1200 retail, but the smaller 40 and 60 watt models have more power than the Denon 685 for $100 to $300 more. The sound difference is staggering. I guess you get what you pay for. There are many used components and slightly pricier products, but you will greatly notice the sound difference.

Purchased At:   The Goodguys

Submitted by audioman4239 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I got this receiver to replace an old technics, musically this receiver is acceptable, The market really seems to have abandoned 2 channel audio forcing everyone to A/V systems. This receiver has plenty of power but it is very bright with my polks and paradigms. Had to set the treble way down to get an acceptable sound quality. Bass makes little effect between 9 and 3.

Submitted by RPulson2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Sound quality was good although not as neutral as I would like. This receiver functioned fairly well for a year and a half, however this is when the problems started. First the B channel speakers became very muddy sounding before progressing to full on static. The left output on the b channel finally died and then shortly after that the Aux. output cut out. This unit also seemed to get very hot on my audio rack which gives good room to breath (22x11) per opening.

Submitted by Sebaudio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
Recently acquired a Denon AVR-1804. I am pleased with it in Home theater but for stereo music listening that was not the sound i want. I have Athena AS-F2 front speaker and the 1804 was not giving enough power to drive these speakers. Lack of bass, no punch, was missing something. Bought a few day ago a Denon DRA-685, and the first 30 seconde the difference blow me away. PUNCH, POWER, and beautiful clear sound. I crank the volume around 9 o clock and damn i like the power of this baby. 1804 is very fine in HT but was not the answer for stereo music for me. I will use it, during a couple of week and will come back for new information. I give 5 star for the money range of the DRA, i know there is a lot of many better receiver, but more expensive also !! But for the price it's a great overall deal!

OH yes, also, i said i pay 750$ but it's candian $ not US. Here in Quebec, the dra-685 is listed a 899$ can

Purchased At:   Dumoulin