Denon DRA-395 Receivers

3.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $349.99

AM/FM/FM Multi-Source/Multi-Zone Stereo Receiver

Submitted by mjtab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver used for a small 2 channel home theater system. It had been in storage for about 6 years with the previous owners. It took weeks of use before the sound started coming alive and months before it really began to shine after many years of inactivity.

I'd characterize the sound as warm and creamy so it sounds best detailed cabling and clear speakers. This 80 wpc stereo receiver is capable of driving my 4 ohm speakers w/o any distortion or clipping of the amplifier.

This receiver is very versatile w/ LFE subwoofer output which I use with monitor speakers and a sub for movies. It also has 2 extra zones for other rooms or the patio. I actually used one of the zones to power a tube amp for another set of speakers for music listening for a short time. To be honest it did not offer the best performance as a preamp feeding a $2K tube amp, but it was fun to play with. The FM tuner in it quite nice sounding too and I use it quite often for classical and late night jazz.

This receiver was $400 when new and is a good value used for a bedroom system or a TV room.

Submitted by Scooter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
I used ths unit for a little under two years total. After 20 months, the unit failed and was sent to a Denon super service center and given a clean bill of health. Then, just after the warranty expired, the unit failed again. I wrote to Denon, but I have not heard from them for many weeks since. It was disappointing, since the Denon name was known for above-average quality. That may no longer be the case in the age of mass overseas production. The unit does have a strong amplifier and satisying sound quality. It's not "high end" by any means. The unit does not have an adjustable preamp section. The "multi-room" signal level can not be adjusted.
I thought the product would last a lot longer...

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by korando a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I first used it in my restaurant as a receiver/amp to creat ambient. It worked just great as low volume and high volume usign 3 pairs of Bose 201 speakers. And then I took it to my home and connected it with same pair of Bose speakers and one Polk subwoofer and it sounds like a music hall, and also added a pair of onkyo speakers to use them on second zone.

Purchased At:   Diamond Vision Mexic

Submitted by arthur nelson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Quiet power,superior switches & controls,very realistic & clean sound. This unit is a steal for the price as it has a heavier amp. section than other similar receivers. needs the powererd subwoofer, high end connects like Tara Labs (also high end cables)ans a dedicated 20 amp 120 volt PS Audio receptacle($50.00)add good speakers to this combination and you will feel like you"re sitting with the Orchestra or Band. It needs these things to become
a superstar in Audio under $1000.00

Purchased At:   Freds -Portland Or.

Submitted by gelo7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
I use this amplifier to drive the excellent Energy Veritas bookshelf speakers.At first I was satisfied with the sound quality until I noticed that there was not enough bass in the sound so I decided to turn on the Loudness feature but there was just too much coloration in the music(for my taste),my speakers are supposed to go down to about 50 Hz in my room but it did not sound like that unless the Loudness was on.I believe you will be more satisfied if you use a powered subwoofer which I am not planning to buy.Please save up some money and buy or audition a Rotel integrated amplifier(You will get a more natural and detailed sound).Good luck.

Purchased At:   Ovation Audio Video