Carver Audio HR-895 Receivers

3.92/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1399.00

110W x 2, 75W ctr, 35Wx2 rear Dolby Pro Logic

Submitted by terry hedrick a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Bottom Line:

i have had my hr895 since new in 1994 it has awesome sound and have enjoyed listening to it for years. i do have a problem with it now ,that the left channel has a intermittent cracking sound.most times it will do it and some times it doesn't,the volume plays no part (soft or loud) i have had the cover off and put air to the components,not having changed anything. i am open to suggestions or to someplace that fixes carver units

Submitted by Tonyvdb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have found the Carver HR-895 to be a great sounding Amp. It reproduces music and Movie soundtracks very nicly. I have found it to get very HOT and thus needs to be placed outside of the rack in order to keep it cool. I find that the buttons as many others have stated on here to be placed in a strange order but once you are used to it I don't mind. I also like the channel seperation on this amp it is very sharp and crisp. I run Mission 765 fronts, Mission 762 rears, yamaha centre, and ADS sub. I will be intrested in selling this amp as I am looking at upgrading to 5.1 you can contact me at tony_c_vdb@hotmail.com for more info.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Michael Schreiber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I find the front panel to be confusing for the most part.It does however,produce quite a bit of clarity to my Boston's(rears) and mtx(15"-3 ways).I recently put into use a pair of braun 3 ways as backups.The unit has no trouble handling these babies

Purchased At:   privately

Submitted by Michael Schreiber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Purchased At:   privately

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got one of these for $250 at Circuit City when they were closing out their stock after Carver went out of business.

What I must mention is that Carver didn't make the sound processing input-specific. For instance, if I'm watching a film on the LD in Dolby Pro-Logic, then switch to the CD input, I have to change the processing to stereo, then back when I want to watch a movie again. My Sony, which was 5 years older, and my new Marantz, both have individual settings for each input, so the DVD input stays in Dolby, and CD is always straight stereo, and changing one doesn't effect the other.

On the front panel, the buttons you use the most, like the Surround mode button, (for the reasons mentioned above) are the smallest, and in odd places. For instance, the test tone button is large and centered, while the surround is identical to, and right next to, the multi room button? How often do you use those buttons? If you're lucky you only use the test tones once, and I never needed the multi room feature. Other buttons are similarly mis-arranged.

However, the amp sounds great. My Sony kicked out static from the surround speakers while using Pro-Logic, and music was always flat and lifeless. Not so with the Carver. There was plenty of headroom, no distortion, and the separation was fantastic, even without the Sonic Holography turned on. I got near-Dolby Digital quality out of the Pro-Logic decoder. I convinced a number of friends to upgrade to Dolby and DVD's with a showing at my place. Other great features include 3 S-Video inputs & 2 outputs, subwoofer out, 5 channel pre-outs and input level control.

Bottom line: If you can get a deal on this used, and you don't need Dolby Digital, you won't be disappointed by the sound this thing puts out. It may not be that user friendly, but let's face it, there's always something you're not going to like about any given product. 4 stars.

Purchased At:   Circuit City