Yamaha C-85 Preamplifiers

Submitted by tlfmd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
not a durable or reliable unit

Purchased At:   team electronics, sp

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've owned this preamp since 1987 and have never looked back. Its been shipped to 4 different countries, and has seen alot use--and I've never had any problems. I had the C50 some years earlier, and sold it to try some other preamps--but wound up going right back to Yamaha. Although Yamaha tends to be a little pricey, when I look at sheer bang for the buck, its a great value.

Submitted by Terry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with most of the people who have been reviewing this product. I have had this pre-amp since 1987 and it sounds as good now as it ever did. I also had to have the output connections resoldered. But after twelve years of solid use and many moves, who can complain. I am hard pressed right now to replace it with new technology, i.e. a high end audio/video pre-pro. I have never heard a cleaner preamp than this one, and no, it does not color the sound. In fact it has a bypass button on the front to take out all EQ. I cannot say enough nice things about this unit, in fact if I do replace it, I will continue to use it in a private listening area with some other high end speakers. Currently all of my amps are Yamaha: M85, M45, MX55. I also have Yamaha DSP3000, DSR100. Pioneer 3030 Laser, Sony DVP 530 DVD, Mitsubishi SVHS, Mitsubishi 36 inch TV monitor. Carver Amazing Loudspeakers (Plainum). Dahlquist DQ-10's refurbished.

Submitted by craig a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had several different Yamaha preamps-the C4,C70,c85 and the C1. The c70 c80 and C85 are basically the same;they all had variable loudness and parametric EQs.I found the c-85 colored the sound when compared to the c4 and the c1 as well as the sony es preamp I now use.The parametric eq was fun to twiddle with but was not very versatile -not enough knobs-the frequency needs to be divided up into more bands than two.

Submitted by Kevin a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:
I must agree the C85 is one heck of a pre-amp. I have owned it since 85 andhad one problem 2 years ago, an IC came loose from the circuit board. I repaired
it and it's still giving good clean music with endless mixing capabilities
I have this now connected to a Yamaha MX1, and can't come to grips to replace
it. It's extremely quit and I think the variable bass boost is something
that no one offers. What can I say, a great pre-amp that I can't replace.

BLG CP024: