Vincent Audio SA-31 Preamplifiers

• Input impedance: 47 kOhm
  • Mains supply: 230 V/50 Hz

Submitted by ES Canyon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have used this pre-amp for over 5 years with great pleasure. Over the years we typically incrementally improve our systems as we can afford. Of all the advancements in my stereo system, the Vincent was by far the most significant improvement. Immediately the sound stage broadened (realistically) and there was a transparency to the sound and "air around the instruments." I have it coupled with an Adcom Solid State Main Amp Model 5300. The unit is also very attractive and reliable. The only fault I find is the lack of a phono function. I added an external tubed Bellari VP-130, a nice combo. My loudspeakers are the amazing Focal 1007S bookshelf speakers.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by SULLY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
I found this used preamp on ebay. I have used many preamps and I compared this preamp to a upgraded sonic frontiers/assemblage tube preamp. I found the vincent to have stronger bass and a slight warmth in the mids and good highs. I like the bass control for old cds but a little goes along way. I heard some artifacts or timing issues and i tried a set of cardas rca plugs and they improved the sound !!! The vincent is a amazing value with the cardas rca plugs and a good Zu Cable takes it further. This preamp plays music that sounds real !

Submitted by RBecker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
This preamp, like all audio products, is probably system dependent. It works synergistically in my system. It is open, quiet, smooth,and transparent. Over the years I have owned many preamplifiers . With my current speakers(Thiel CS 3.5) a Superphon Revelation Dual Mono and Audio Prism Mantissa have served. The Vincent is more musical and enjoyable. Rhythm and pace are fantastic. Vintage records like ZZ Tops Tres Hombres really rock. (Tone controls are a great plus for non perfect records and cds.) Well recorded cds like Jackie Terrasson on Blue note shine with the tone control defeated. Jackies piano sound like a piano.The bass drum is deep and powerful and the bass guitar is full and defined.

It shoud be noted that this preamp seems to be sensitive to the AC power cord used. An old Synergistic AC Master Coupler AC cord that was not being used I found to work perfectly with this preamp.

This unit is certainly worthy an audition. It may lock into your system, as it did mine.

Submitted by R Townshend a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
This preamp is OK as a buy on the used market. It is very forgiving in character and sweetens treble to some degree. Unfortunately it is not very well designed. When the tone controls are centered the tone circuit adds a lot of bass boost and alters the treble to some degree. The tone controls are not subtle in use. Fortunately there is a tone defeat switch although the unit still sounds a bit bassier than neutral with tone out of circuit. The loudness control is not musically useful as it boosts bass and treble far too much.

Also, my unit has a loudness switch that does not stay engaged (from new). The switches are very cheap, even though there is a high quality volume pot. The RCA connectors are very flimsy.

This unit is definitely not worth purchasing at the new price it is offered for. It is, however a good taste of tube sound for "toob noobs" although it colors the sound far more than some decent pure tube designs do.

I am amazed at the avguide review. This unit is not transparent or neutral and the only reason it scored highly in the bass department is because it does not have a flat response and has some tip up at the low end.

With that out of the way, I hang onto my unit because it's non-neutral character helps most of my CD collection which are poorly mastered and tend to be a little hot on the top end.

Wood Technology: