Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamplifiers

4.73/5 (26 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Stereo Preamplifier Kit

Submitted by Bob Lavoie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2017

Bottom Line:
Well I built one of these for a friend as a kit about 15 years ago, and never really cared or took the time to listen to it. Fast forward to now, and I recently acquired a Transcendant Sound single ended OTL and am so impressed. I run it with Klipsch RF 280P towers. So I bought a used Grounded Grid on E-Bay, this one has two sets of outputs which is nice. The sound of this preamp is just fantastic to my ears. I couldn't be happier. Yes it sounds great with the Transcendant single ended OTL. But is mates very well with other amps I have, both solid state and tube. I love how light and simple it is. Very clear window into the soundstage, not too tubey or syrupy, very nice presentation. I am completely satisfied and I have owned Audio Research LS-3, LS-7, LS-2, Krell KRC, Krell KSA-2, lot of stuff. This holds it's own against any of them IMHO. Yes I would recommend it, especially at its price point. A no brainer.

Submitted by Sherminator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
Fantastic clear performance. Such a simple design produces a very nice musical presentation. It may not be the ultimate in refinement, but for 500 bucks you can't have a better Tube Preamp.

Purchased At:   Transcendent Sound

Submitted by Rich Sherman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I just want to second all of the positives. The GG Preamp is a great starter kit and provides music, nothing else.

Purchased At:   Transcendent Sound

Submitted by Richard Sherman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
After acquiring a copy of Audio Reality, written and published by Mr. Bruce Rozenblit, I had to have the Grounded Grid preamplifier in my humble tube based audio setup.

The kit arrived safely, very well packed and the shipping costs were not over-charged as do some sellers.

Assembly time was 6 hours broken down into 2x 3 hour sessions in the afternoon and early evening in a single saturday.

The product is very well thought out, but the real charm is in the design of the preamp circuit.

Right from the start I knew that this Preamplifier was an order of magnitude better than my Dynaco PAS-4 and Vintage PAS-2/3.

Having heard many Audiophile preamps in the past such as the Atmasphere MP-1 and MP-3 plus the Convergent Audio Technologies CAT, the Grounded Grid was at least as involving as the MP-3 but exhibited less gain than the CAT.

For users who demand the best sound for under $500 USD, the Grounded Grid exceeds any and all expectations.

Furthermore the layout and chassis allow for the installation of additional inputs as well as the fact that the selector switch can provide switching for a total of 6 Inputs.

For those who enjoy Kit building the Transcendent preamp is a charm.

My versio has a 100K Stepped Attenuator instead of the standard 50Kohm Dual Volume potentiometer. For those wishing to install a set of tape outputs a 100 Kohm volume control would be the minimum recommended value so as to minimize the effects of Tape-Deck or Recorder inputs loading the input impedande down reducing the gain.

Subwoofer outputs can easily be installed. And the IEC power connector allows for power cable experimentation.

A simple, stripped-down design with lots of mucic and very little frills. Great performer but will reveal limitations in one's system.

The unit provides amazingly taught Bass. Some people have experienced poor Bass response. This may be more due to room acoustics and limitations in the source or audio chain. With such a transparent design, transient information may exceed the ability of a given amp-speaker combination that does not have similar bandwidth or slew-rate.

Very light weight and no-nonsense design. A unique preamplifier for a very confused Hi-Fi world.

Purchased At:   Transcendent Audio

Submitted by Tinear a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is about a factory assembled unit only. After reading all the wonderful reviews on this product in this forum plus the factory telling me "it will blow the doors off most other preamps" I was intrigued. Not being very good at soldering plus not really having the time I went for the factory wired unit. I then knew it would be put together the best it could be. Also, the website said I could try it out for 2 weeks. Via the internet I also ordered the unit with an extra set of inputs and outputs and a 24 step attenuator as I wanted to use the preamp in a home theater setup. After a looooooong wait I was eager to try it out when it finally arrived. Visually it seemed so small and light I wondered if it could really do the job. (My current preamp was the Adcom 750 which is fairly hefty by comparison.) I also wanted to try tubes again as I remembered how much I enjoyed their sound many years ago. After keeping the unit on for a few days and playing a variety of music, I sat down for a serious listen over my Magnepan 3.6s and Audio Concepts subwoofers. My first impression was how quiet the unit is. As I played very familier cds, I heard a similar presentation to my Adcom; extended and silky highs with perhaps a bit more micro dynamics than I was used to. Soundstage was about the same but as I listened down into the frequency range I started to hear some big differences. Particularly the deep bass. The Transcendent seemed to get loose even though it was reaching the same depths as the Adcom. On movies it didn't quite have the same impact as the Adcom. I thought maybe it might need a bit more breaking-in but over the course of a week things remained the same. After long cd listening, the preamp seemed so smooth as to be a bit unenvolving. Consequently, I felt the unit wasn't much of an upgrade over my old preamp. Thankfully, I thought, I can return it within the 2 weeks. When I emailed for permission to return the preamp, I was told that that was not possible as I ordered the unit with the extra inputs and outputs and the preamp could not be resold. (The 24 step attenuator had not been installed, as I'd hoped, so that was not a problem). Though I could not find any information regarding this condition on their website, I was forced to keep the preamp. So this review is to alert anyone contemplating purchasing a wired unit. Overall, the preamp is probably a good value in kit form but I would say it's about average as a wired preamp.

Purchased At:   Transcendent Sound,