Threshold T3 Preamplifiers

4.71/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $2450.00

Balanced preamp w/ pure class A sig. path

Submitted by nicolas a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got the T3i model with the larger power supply.
I think my quest for a preamp ends here, all i needed is here : transparency, soundstage, 3 outputs, balanced in/out, processor passthrough, remote...
A real bargain, even now compared with recent components.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by lee bennett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am a relative newby to the high-end audio experience having spent only $5k for my first system which included a SimAudio I-5 Integrated, a California Audiolab CD Player, Myryad Tuner and Canton RCL speakers. I was in audio bliss for about 6 months and then got the wretched disease that affects all up and coming audioheads - the need to hear something different (without spending much money in my case.) I bought a 20 year old Counterpoint SA-12 amp to use as a power amp using the pre-outs on the Sim Integrated, just to hear if it would make a difference. I shelled out $325 for the Counterpoint, expecting it to sound like crap with the Sim. There is only a 10 wpc difference between the two. Much to my surprise, the Counterpoint added a whole new dimension to my system - the sound was much more powerful and airy. Figuring that a $325 amp has no right outshining a $1,500 integated amp, I decided to sell the Sim.

Thats where the T3 comes in. I bought this pre based 100% on the credible - sounding reviews on this site, casting aside the one negative review that appeared to be written be someone using LSD. I paid $895 for the unit on E-Bay.

I was in awe when I hooked this thing up. The soundstage is huge. I was formerly of the opinion that a good pre couldn't make that much difference in a system - not any more. Now I see why these things get snapped up so fast on the used market - it is truly an awesome sounding pre. I'm not letting go of this one.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by Chasin' the Trane a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've come full circle since owning the gem called the Threshold T3. After having owned the T3 a few years back, I sold it and have probably tried a half dozen other preamps over the past 2 years. The BAT preamps are the only thing I've tried that are more transparent than the T3.However, that's not a put down for the T3. The T3's presentation, by design, is a darker sound than the BAT. The T3 has a very low noise floor. I've had great results connecting it to the VK500,VK200 amplifiers, as well as the Palladium II monoblocks. The T3 provides as silent an operation as I've ever enjoyed.

I've recently acquired another T3 after downsizing my system a bit for financial reasons. But, I don't hear negligible trade offs by once again having this fine gem of a preamp back into the chain. I truly believe the T3 is destined to become a classic of sorts. It provides both balanced and SE input/outputs, with an excellent video pass-through for home theater. All functions are operable via the user friendly remote.

Threshold. Shame they had to go...But the name lives on in the hands of us that are fortunate to own so many of their products. The Threshold T3 preamplifier is one of the finest performing preamplifiers I've ever heard. Alas...It's nice to have come home again to the T3.

Enjoy!

Submitted by Gonzalo a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just a short follow-upOn Feb 18th 1998,this gentleman JEFF writes and more so qualifies a product that not only he's not familiar with but also never heard on his life probably.
SO LIMITED . . . . and yet SO VOCAL . . .
Can sombody please remove that qualification ? ? ? Please . . .
Let's all clap, and make it dissappear.
Just a short follow-up
I strongly suggest JEFF look for a real hobby, this thing about badmouthing things, gear or even people that you know nothing about will be prejudicial to your health, remember to smile always smile; not for the other people but for your own endorphines, Try that, It'll make a world of difference.
We all owners of T-3 know it !! don't we guys ??
At any rate dearest JEFF: i sincerely hope you change that bitterness about your own shortcomings and follow the American Right to pursue your happiness.
God Bless America, ( and JEFF he really needs it . . .let's all pray for him)

Thank you.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Gonzalo a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased my T-3 (now for sale because of Classée Audio SSP-50 AC-3/DTS, etc.) about 3 years ago, compared to my friends Audible Illussions Mod-3 it sounded different, not so much sweetness . . . but I really needed a musical piece, and that powerful bass and the top end, oh!!! what a treat!, the imaging so pinpointing, you can "see" what the musicians are doing on the stage.I have compared the T-3 to the Krells and the Mark Levinsons, (the Krell might have a little more bass slam, but with speakers like the NHT 3.3 I'm not short of slam!!)because I was lucky enough that a good friend worked at the time on a Q,C department of a famous manufacturer of audio gear I cannot name, and did direct comparisons between them, some other preamps do better different things but for my $2,400 this was the best, no contest!
I have enjoyed every minute of it playing, using combination of Kimber KCAG and 1020 cables along with 8-TC (double run) to the speakers also helps.

I'm as I was extremely happy with my T-3 and I consider myself as my friends would put it a very picky Audiophile.
Now the Classée piece has arrived and at $6500 dollars does everything right, but I miss the quickness, the "super-natural" dynamics of the Threshold T-3, and the absolute quietness and relaxed effortless fortíssimo passages that you hear on real concert music.

If I could find a way to make the T-3 work with the Home Theater setup, I'll gladly keep it, but I need to move on, the DVD is on the way.

If there were six stars to give to a component this would be the candidate for it.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile