Threshold T2 Preamplifiers

4.91/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $5750.00

Fully balanced line level preamplifier. No longer available

Submitted by Nounours18200 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
After having optimized my current equipement, I searched the best way to improve the quality of my system. I found a used Threshold T2 somewhere in Austria, and, as a Threshold SA-3.9e owner, I already knew how good the Threshold electronics can sound (I am not talking about the current Threshold products).
The T2 is really an excellent preamp. It is built like a Tank, reliable as a swiss watch.
It provides an excellent sound on the RCA outputs, particularly when the RCA cable uses some top level RCA connectors such as the Eichmann Silver Bullet or Nextgen connectors: with such excellent connectors (and of course an excellent cable), the difference with the XLR outputs is very subtle: it does exist, but it is very very small.
It has a wonderful bass and low midrange, the best I have eared to date. The highs are said (by Stereophile) to outperform the Mark Levinson 38S but not as good as the 380S, but I am completely satisfied.
I have extensively compared it to the Audio-Research SP6B: the T2 is unbelievable better, more clarity, more authority, more definition, more everything in every domain... it is not the same team...
Used in conjunction with a Threshold SA-3.9e class A amplifier (Nelson Pass says that it is the best amplifier he designed during the period he worked at Threshold) connected through XLR, you get an incredible stable amplification chain with a damned excellent sound and no agressivity or grain at all.
When turning up the volume, the T2 points out its ability to drive the amp: the volume goes up and up and up... and it seems to have no limit...

Purchased At:   somewhere in Austria

Submitted by Tak1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
Still faithfully serving me for past 7 years now without any doubt a truly amazing piece of audiophile component.
I had my recent upgrade thru Jon Soderberg in Singapore and after 2-3 weeks of running in..the T2 is truly unbelieveble!! even the demanding audiophile will note this.
I'll recommend anyone to contact Jon Soderberg for upgrade and services of Threshold Corporation product.

Purchased At:   -

Submitted by arthurbrice a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've lived with my T2 now for nearly six months and it is a truly wonderful preamp. Even though the preamp has the complication of being housed in two boxes (power supply and preamp) its best quality besides sound quality is its simplicity, for 2-channel audio this preamp does just what it should, direct the audio signal without color or distortion while regulating volume to the amp. This the T2 does impeccably and ‘extremely’ musically, it presents a clear crisp defined image without the cold sterility other high-end brands give.
The T2 supports balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs with equal grace. I’ve used it both ways and difference in sound between connection types is subtle when using better than average cables which is a major plus for those of you like myself using older gear that only supports the single-ended unbalanced connectors.
This is a preamp that does need to warm up to give you all of the musical quality it is capable of. It’s manual recommends two days and it does show improvement then but my unit really opened up after two weeks. A note to others; Threshold meant what it said about separating the power supply from the preamp itself. Find some space in the bottom of your rack away from the preamp and other signal sources; you’ll hear the improvement.
A few of the drawbacks and I consider them to be minor; is the objection by some to the clicking you will hear from the stepped attenuator by the volume control and input selector. I honestly prefer hearing it since you should keep the display turned off as much as possible to prolong its life, another minor flaw (yawn). The only drawback that I consider irksome is simply someone forgot to put a standby button on the preamp itself when designing the T2, you need to have a working remote in order to do that. To those unfamiliar with the T2 to keep down microphonics and maintain thermal stability you do not turn off the T2, it is placed in standby, so like your towel always keep your remote. The remote is basic, it’s functional but clunky but that is a personal gripe I have with almost every stock remote I’ve encountered.
Like previous reviewers, I will heartily recommend ‘Vintage Amp and Repair’ Jon Soderberg’s shop if you need service. Don’t look to the new Threshold Company for support or documentation on the older equipment, too bad for them; the old Threshold gear has loyal followers.
If you are looking for a straightforward 2-ch preamp in the realm of used gear, give the Threshold T2 a try it is a wonderful sounding preamp built like a tank.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Woodbridge Audio

Submitted by Jules99 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
If anyone ever needs to get a Threshold Amp or Preamp fixed or modified, the best guy to fix it is, Jon Soderberg.
This guy really knows his stuff.
He was one of the designers at Threshold. Here's his website, email address and number. http://www.rsvlonline.net/vintageamp/
Phone: (916) 721-9611
jon_soderberg@rsvlonline.net

Submitted by A.J. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have lived with this pre-amp for several years now, and I am still impressed with the sound on a daily basis. For those of you in the market for a stste of the art pre-amp, I highly recommend you at least seriously consider the T-2. I have had the pleasure of being able to hear, in many different settings, all the pre-amps I mentioned previously, and the T-2 is simply one of the finest sounding pieces I have yet to come across! In terms of musicality and faithful reprodution it is second to none. I mentioned the build quality and the simple beauty of the design and chassis. There is only one pre-amp, in my opinion that comes any where near being as pleasing to look at as the T-2, which is the Jeff Rowland Synergy! Please take my advice, and use my many years of experience in this wonderful hobby, as a tool, in your search of musical nirvana. For those worried about service and repair, you needn't despair, for Vintage Amp Repair is the only place on earth I would trust to work on my beloved Threshold components. They are located in Citrus Heights, CA and are also on the web, www.vitageamprepair.com

Purchased At:   Christopher Hansen

Rel T2 Vis Svs Sb12-plus

Which one would you buy and why? HT first and music secound.Read More »

T2: Greatest Sequel of all Time.

I am sure that everyone has a difference of opinion when it comes to films, especially sequels. They are usually pointless, redundant, amateurish, unnecessary and most of all insulting in their attempts to get more money from movie-goers. However, now and again a film comes along that actually tak ... Read More »

Threshold T2 upgrade / Jon Soderberg

Hi friends, By reading the posts in this forum, I see that most of you refer to Jon Soderberg as **the ** specialist for upgrading or repairing the THRESHOLD amplifiers. The web sites and email address given on this forum or on this site reviews are: [url]www.vitageamprepair.com[/url] [url ... Read More »

HELP ME with Dynaudio Contour T2.5

Ok, heres the joke (becaseu by now it is) i went to pick up my A52SE and I see a pair of used T2.5 on sale for $2,400. Now, thats $1,000 more than my brand new 52Se but hell,. these are contours. I have no idea what to do. Please somebody....HELP (gulp) Thanks in advanceRead More »

Atlantic Technology: