ROTEL RSP-1066 Preamplifiers

4.68/5 (25 Reviews)

7.1 Surround Preamp/Processor

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
Looks great, sound is good in home theatre setup but very average in stereo the music lacks detail and has a processed sound when using the CD input and the 2 channel stereo mode. The music just sounded unnatural and harsh and I preffered to use my old acoustic research pre-amp until I figured how to getr the best of both worlds with the Rotel. If you have a decent CD player or SACD connect it to the Rotel via the Multi Channel Input using front left and right, once switched the Rotel by passes the processor altogeather ( it says 2 channel mode does this but there is no switching to by pass the processor when you press the button) as soon as I did this I tried a CD and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face the music came alive and I could hear every detail with a clarity i have not experienced with the rotel before, the improvement was astounding!!! if any of you out there are feeling disapointed with the sound in stereo mode I urge you to give this a go you will be suprised by the improvement I will never use the CD input again.

Submitted by pjohn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
Nice sound, one of the best sounding pre/pro for its price range.

Submitted by andygood a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have been in the never ending upgrade cycle for a few years, from receivers to separates, from inexpensive to expensive cables, DVD players, etc. One observation in the Audio/Video world is that generally speaking, the jumps in price can range from a real waste to really worhtwhile depending of coarse on all of the elements in your system. The longer you figure out what to listen for and try different things, the more apparent this becomes. This by no means qualifies me as an expert, but I do pride myself on navigating through the hype and achieving a system that is a decent value.

Which leads me to the 1066, my fist entry (at the time) in to separates. Prior to buying the 1066, I had a Denon AVR 3803 and added a Rotel RMB 1075. This was the first significant change per dollar spent I ever experienced. The difference was clearly measurable (more dynamic) and got me thinking that going to a dedicated pre-amp, things would only get better. Well they did and they didn't.

First of all, I am a big fan of Rotel, I consider their products to be well-built and a good value for those of us that want to pretend we are in the higher end audiophile world. The various Rotel reviews exclaim that you get the performance of units costing many more dollars. I have been seduced by these types of reviews and Rotel's excellent marketing but have come to the conclusiion that like anything else, you get what you pay for. True, the law of diminishing returns kicks in when you go from a $1,500 pre-amp to a $2,900 pre-amp, but if you listen discriminately, the small differences become worth the premium.

The 1066 is a budget pre-amp, albeit subjectively in my view more classy than an Adcom or even a B&K, a few pegs down from Anthem, Krell, Proceed, etc. It is decently built, has a nice feature set and good warranty. Most importantly, it will be a nice step up from most receivers, keeping in mind that I feel that it didn't provide the difference I was sold on by my dealer when I replaced my Denon 3803 (pre-outed to the RMB 1075).

Recently I bought an Anthem AVM 20 floor model at a great price. The bottom line is that the Anthem felt more like what I thought I would get when I upgraded to a pre-amp from the Denon. More lively surround processing and more punch to movies. Musically, the gap is probably narrower thus giving credence to the reviews that compare it to pricier units.

On the downside, I used to have a Rotel RSX 1055 and like the 1066, I hear a "pop" in my speakers when changing channels on my digital cable box, something that I haven't experienced on numerous other receivers. Also, there can be sound drop outs on the split second layer change on DVD's, something I have read about even with the more expensive pre-amps. The remote is what it is, kind of a big awkward affair.

All in all, my opinion is that if you can somehow make it work out, try to stretch to something the calibur of an Anthem AVM 20 or if you have a decent receiver, try partnering it with a good amp first. If you are starting out and have around $2,000 to spend and the choice is between entry level separates or a bigtime receiver, you'll be satisfied with the Rotel 1066 and an amp like the RMB 1075.

Lastly, it is easy to get a little snobby as you move up in to different levels of equipment, also remember that all of this kind of gear has its' quirks,is oversold professional review-wise and is miserably overpriced. The Rotel 1066 is on par with the Adcom and B&K offerings at similar price points, do some demo's and get the one that looks and sounds the best to you. Again, if you are in this thing for the long haul and are piecing some good equipment together, I'd spring for something like the Anthem or better, you are going to be pleased, especially if you are in to Home Theater.

Purchased At:   Audio/Video Synergy-

Submitted by lrstevens421 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
First let me say that the people at Stereo exhange in NYC are great. Les who I believe is the sales manager is very helpful and knowledgeable. They are a first rate operation, and I know because I'm in the business as well. Well anyway, let's get to the Processor. I'm upgrading from the acclaimed Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver, it's hard to image that the Rotel would be that much better but it is. The initial setup was a little tricky but once you get this puppy going it's AMAZING. I also partnered it with the Rotel RMB-1075, these two were made for eachother. I just recently found out that this unit only uses 96/24 dacs. I thought this would be a downside because the yamaha receiver used 192dacs, boy was I wrong. I've learned it's not the sampling rate of the dacs that are so important but it's how they are implemented. It's needless to say that the RSP-1066 is superior to the Yamaha in every way. The Onscreen display is shockingly simple and easy to use. Unfortunatly my unit laready has to be sent in for service, it has to be upgraded with the newest software, that's right it's UPGRADEABLE. I love this piece even it's cosmetics are wonderful. This is the best preamp/processor in the $1500 dollar price range. Get rid of your receiver seperates are the way to go.

Purchased At:   Stereo Exchange

Submitted by Andrew Pratt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have now owned the Rotel 1066, 1055 and now the 1098 and run the Club Rotel at http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=Threads.listings&forum=25&CFB=1 Please feel free to drop in for the most up todate info on these products. Many of the quirks you've described have been addressed with firmware updates.

High End: