ROTEL RC-972 Preamplifiers

4.62/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

Remote control stereo preamplifier

Submitted by chenz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
Having lived with home theatre, albeit a decent HT system. I just made a return to the realm of 2 channel.
My old system was the rotel RSP 1068 pre amp processor into Sphinx monoblocks from denmark and a rotel Rmb 1075 multi channel amp. Into B&W speakers.
And cold out of the box, this pre amp made the RSP 1068 sound like it was broken,,, In terms of over all dynamics, space, all of the things that make something BETTER. Too often in audio, people get caught up in making changes without actually moving forward.
this piece for what was paid for it is wonderful, and if you are looking at purchasing a home theatre receiver, think twice, as without all the whiz bang boom of Home theatre, the sound tracks through this piece in 2 channel are more engaging, and dialgue is more coherent etc.....

I would have easily paid more money for this piece, and still been satisfied.

good job Rotel on buliding solid products at real world prices. no small feat.

Submitted by sebastian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have purchased the Rotel RC-972 about six months ago . The preamp is very well built . There is a toroidal transformer inside and a motorised volume control with the red light on the front panel . The remote control is very simple and look like a cheap one.The amplification of the preamp is quite low , very similar to the todays passive preamps . Tonal balance very well set, the sound is very well balanced. Bass, Mids and highs are never fatiguant. The sound is quite soft. As a summary what you demand from a preamp exist on the Rotel RC972 .

I strongly recommend this preamp if you can find one

Purchased At:   Local Hifi Shop

Submitted by Marcaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have just recently bought the RC-972 and have to say it's an absolute amazing pre-amp. I bought it for £100 plus £10 postage on ebay, but if I'd had the money, I would have paid £350 for it new without a doubt.

My System:-

Rotel RCD-971
Rotel RC-972
Rotel RB-981
JMLab Chorus 715
Van Den Hul The Bay C5 Interconnects
Van Den Hul MC D352 Speaker Cable

The Rotel is a pre-amplifier that you can rely on as it conforms to Rotel's "balanced design" concept. This basically means that every single Rotel component has been designed with the components price point in mind. This reflects in component quality, signal path clutter, casework...but basically it is individually designed with simpicity and ultimate performance as top priority.

Hey, some may call me biased, but I dont want a £350 pre-amp that is designed my some sony (yuk) mass market money graber. When you buy this pre-amp, you know by the build quality alone that it's not some rubbish that you buy in dixons.

Anyway, ive said my thing :0) So it's down to how it sounds, and I have to say it sounds as good as it's weight in gold. The 972 has a fantastically rich and accurate sound and really handles the input from the cd player and the output to the power amp really well - everything is kept together tightly and the music has a detailed edge that just makes you want to listen. What more do you want from a pre-amp!

Purchased At:   online - ebay

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Finally got the 972 to compliment my 6 channel Rotel amp, was using an old Sansewage pre for years.
Well to me its worth its weight in gold........hooked it up and wow! Very open and large soundstage. It disapears totally and even makes the lousy anologue cds sound like DDDs. Have many hours to burn it in and am very much looking forward to that. Its like I have a new stereo again and since all I use it for is straight music its fantastic.
My system is complete just need to pick up some Kimber connects in the next few weeks.
I am for sure a hard-core Rotel dude and with the 6 channel amp I can bi-amp my speakers very sweet......120 watts to the woofers and 60 to the tweeters.
I highly recomend all Rotel products I mean like hey they don't even make a reciever, wonder why?

Purchased At:   Local Audio Shop

Submitted by Mitch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Rotel to replace an old Counter Point SA-7 tube pre-amp. I loved the smoothness and warm sound of the tubes, but age and worn out electronics forced me to retire it. I don't have the budget to replace the old pre with a new tube pre so I searched high and low for a budget replacement.

The Rotel surprised me with it's over all sound. The sound stage opened up and gave new life to my system. I was very sceptical at first that a sub $400 pre-map could replace my tube pre, but I'm now a believer.

Speakers - Mission 782