ROTEL RC-971 Preamplifiers

4.5/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Preamp, 2 output, THD 0.004%, tone defeat, line only

Submitted by corky newman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
After buying a great hi end rotel CD player, I wanted to mate it to a Rotel pre amp. found this on ebay for very lttle money and quite happy with the sounds from this little puppy.

Submitted by rickc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
This preamp was a excellent step up for me. I got it cheap of ebay and I was very surprised by the detail and sound of this product. I am using Paradigm speakers conected to a rotel Rb 960 amp. I think Paragigm is a good match for Rotel. well worth the 125.00 paid. I would highly recomend it. there are far better preamp out there but I don't think in this price range. I hope this helps.

Submitted by john a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
right the rotel pre amp is realy poor andlests the power amps down as they sound wide open clean and jump out there price bracket buy a good pre amp and bridge the amps and you will be well happy with the sound

Purchased At:   some gaggy,s house

Submitted by Francisco salgado a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is, really, a very good pre-amp for those of us who decided not to play records any more (no phono pre-amp included, just CD, AUX, Tape 1, Tape2 and Receiver inputs).

It sounds superbly clean and sharp. I drive my B&W DM-12 using a pair of NAD 2150 power amps in bridge mode. My B&W sub-buffer is auto-amplified.

Using this incredible pre-amp the cleanness of the sound is razor sharp. the sound is perfect and each instrument is positioned in a well defined place. I hear some different kind of musical styles from electronics (Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, RMI, FSOL..) to jazz( Dave Grussin, Pat Metheny, Wheather Repport, Miles Davis... ), Celtic music( Night Noise, Hedningarna, Carlos Nuñez...) rock ( Pink Floyd, ELP, Genesis,...) and classics ( Bach, Vivaldi, Chopin, Beethoven...).

All this music sounds terrific in my system. And much better since I upgraded my pre-amp to this small and inexpensive

Some people here mentioned they can actually hear the background nose of this pre-amp. Well I can't. I can hear the tiny sounds of the background in my listening room, but not any hiss or hum perception.( By the way, if what you hear is hum, then try a better grounding for your sound equipment.

Overall, this is your choice for audiophile entry level pre-amp. If you want a remote control then go for the RC-972, which is the same as this one but with a motor-driven remote.

P.S.: Go and see the reviews on the RC-972. Why are the ratings of this pre-amp so high and it's small brother, the RC-971, has some poor reviews if sonically are the same ?

Don't fool yourself, the only difference between them is the remote control, not anything else. If you don't need a remote, buy this one at half the price and get top class sound.

Francisco

Purchased At:   El Corte Ingles

Submitted by Juha a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bang for the buck?

I opened the lid and WOW, it is all empty inside there!
The quality of signal path components was surprising. They were the cheapest available, I guess.
The electrical design is done with three OpAmp pairs. The OP 275 is, of course, a respectable device. It takes care of all the amplification if tone controls are defeated. It costs something like 1$. So High End? Nope. Good enough? Most probably yes. Still, buying a 300$ box to get that and a couple of switches seems (and feels) like a waste of money.

The best part of this preamp is the filtering of the power supply. Lots of Electrolytic capacitors have been used to ensure stable voltage. Good.

Having seen this product I believe the whole consept of having preamp and power amp in a different package is questionable. With 300$ you certainly can get both and loose nothing in sound quality. All the differencies in sound quality found between this (over-priced) and even more expensive products are interesting as this is really low-tech, as maybe most of the preamps.

I'm not going to even turn on the power before I have changed the potentiometers to better quality ones. The switches I'll change later.

Check AD web pages to see what you purchased. As mentioned, OP 275 is the core of this preamp.

Purchased At:   local store for cheap goods

60.0 WA BLACK: