ROTEL RC-1090 Preamplifiers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

The RC-1090 is the latest expression of Rotel ’s continuing dedication to providing the finest components for traditional two channel music reproduction. Beginning with a custom Rotel made toroidal transformer, the low output impedance power supply makes extensive use of the new ultra-fast T-Network capacitors. Circuits for each channel follow Symmetrical Circuit Trace strategy to ensure precise timing, pinpoint imaging,and accurate soundstaging. Rigorous parts selection includes metal foil resistors, polystyrene, and polypropylene signal capacitors. The output stage is particularly noteworthy for its high current, low impedance design which provides substantial current reserves for driving even the most difficult interconnect/amplifier combinations. Flexibility? The RC-1090 boasts eight inputs, including a low noise, high overload MM/MC phono stage and a balanced input with XLR connectors. A centrally-located information display provides instant system status checks. Separate Listen and Record selectors provide additional capability. Balanced XLR outputs supplement the industry-standard RCA connections and make the RC-1090 an ideal match for all high performance amplifiers. A programmable remote control, RS-232 interface, two 12 volt “trigger ”outputs, a detachable AC cord, two AC convenience outlets, and discrete on/off remote control command codes complement the RC-1090 ’s exceptional performance.

Submitted by clem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2013

Bottom Line:
I had the 980 bx, later the 995 now the 1090
This pre amp is so clear, that I put it up against other pre amps that cost way more
I could hardly tell any difference in the sound, the one that keep music more alive
was the rotel rc 1090
Buy one you will not and never be sorry that you bought one, I love the sound.

Submitted by Francoman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
i am really satifiied with this combo , RC1090 + RB1080, it is a "perfect match with my new B&W 805s" i can hear detail which were leak from Previous Amp.
i used Musical fidelity A308(nothing surprise with this amp.), Krell KAV-400xi(fast, but bass is not good), Primare A30.1(the vocal performace is the worst).
The Rotel Combo (Sound quality: fast, transparent (espacially "Vocal"), i think i will keep this combo for a whole life.

Purchased At:   B&W

Submitted by Stevenk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Been using this unit for 3½ years and enjoyed it throughly. After the first 300+ hours use, it fully settled down. I was using the RC-995 before (the weakest link), especially the worst component when using balanced outputs. The new RC-1090 was hugely quicker, more revealing and musical with large, detailed, more delicate 3D presentation. Oh yes, the 1090 is more transparent than the 995 in every sense but looking more closely, the 1090 is many times more refined. The 995 had a serious problem with channel separation, 3D imaging and some tones were quieter, if always missing something. IMHO, I didn't expect so much difference from a single upgrade for a budget unit.

When I changed my power amp to the rb-1090 before the preamp upgrade, I then noticed something was wrong everywhere. I didn't know how much until I experienced it 1st hand. Let Rotel components get a good burn-in before any serious listening.
No preamp is perfect at any price, its not the most transparent or detailed out there but I wouldn't know until I change the source.

Compared to Krell's 300i, the RB-1090/RC-1090 combo is so much better! but to be fair a little more costly.

Conclusion: much less listening fatigue.

Setup:
speakers: B&W Nautilus 803
power: Rotel RB-1090
cd player: Rotel RCD-991
Cables: DH Labs Q10 int. biwired and BL-1 balanced and RCA

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am very, very happy with this preamp.
Compared to my previous preamp (Adcom GFP-565), it sounds slightly better : more details, better soundstage. I was very amazed that there is a difference (I am a "loudspeakers" guy).
I didn't try the phono input yet.

Purchased At:   Home Theater Store

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I upgraded my entire 2-channel stereo system a few months ago, and totally love the sound. The new system includes Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home speakers, Rotel 1080 amp (200 w/ch), Rotel 1090 pre-amp, and Rotel 1055 CD changer, with Audioquest Coral interconnects, AQ Bedock speaker cables, and MonsterPower Center 5100. The system has an incredibly wide soundstage (I have the speakers towed in so that they are aimed slightly in back of my head), with a very detailed sound. Vocals especially sound great. Cymbals are crisp, with plenty of punch. Overall, the system sounds very musical (I mainly listen to pop music), with great depth and presence. I believe Rotel provides the best value out there, with better quality than the mass marketed brands (basically a high-end sound at much less cost than the top audiophile brands). Although there are better sounding systems out there, I'm convinced you would have to spend twice as much to noticeably improve on this one.

Purchased At:   World Wide Stereo