ROTEL RC 1070 Preamplifiers

4.32/5 (22 Reviews)

Optimized for the real-world audiophile who demands flexibility and sound quality at an affordable price, the RC-1070 preamplifier delivers an extraordinary level of satisfaction. Featuring traditional Rotel engineering prowess, this unit features a power supply based on a custom-made toroidal transformer. The RC-1070 provides six line-level inputs in addition to a carefully engineered phono input for moving magnet and high output moving coil cartridges. A convenient contour control allows easy and repeatable timbre adjustments. With two sets of main outputs, a 12 volt “trigger ” jack, and a Rotel-system remote control for both the pre-amplifier and a companion Rotel CD, tuner, or DVD player, the RC-1070 brings the flexibility and sound quality of Rotel separates within easy reach.

Submitted by vinniep a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
This Rotel RC1070 is my first pre-amp but I try to be as objective as possible. I'm not an audiophile but I'll do my best. I got this pre-amp as a second hand product for €150 ($195). I had no intention to buy any amp any time soon but it was such a bargain that I couldn't resist myself. I hooked it up with NAD 912 power amp (which I also recently bought so this review touches both the Rotel and the NAD) and Monitor Audio BX2 bookshelf speakers. And I also use NuForce Icon uDAC 2 between pc and the pre-amp.

I was directly blown away by the sound. I found it very accurate and and the level of detail and segregation is great. I also seemed to locate the instruments better than I did with my integrated amp, NAD C 315BEE. The 315BEE is stronger with bass but still loses when the punch and accuracy of low frequencies are concerned.

Another thing that surprised me was the quality of the headphone jack! I used to hook up my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro) directly to my DAC since it gave better sound than my former integrated amps. But I wanted to compare the DAC vs. Rotel. Rotel gave a great deal more detail and a wider soundstage!

As a newbie I'm bad at describing this product, so all I can say is that both my speaker and headphone listening just got a lot more exciting!

Pros:
Sound quality. Great looks. Headphone jack.

Cons:
Remote just looks way too retro (works great though). No bass/treble controls.

Submitted by caz223 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
It's my first pre- and as a result, I just tried going with conventional wisdom and went to the stereo shop and picked up the 1070. I paid $400 and some change, but less than $450, and bought some audioquest diamondback interconnects while I was there.
The contour knob is functional, but I wish it had bass and treble controls. In my system the flat contour is too warm, the high boost makes the lows sound hollow, and the high and low boost makes the sound go all muddy. I have a adcom GCD-750, so I realized I really don't need the preamp, so it sits in my rack powered off waiting for something to happen. I want to upgrade to a hafler amp, and if I can find one at a good price, I can use the balanced outs on the adcom, and won't be able to use the rotel.

So, in review.
Pros: Good basic sound, nice looking silver face, functional remote, still works.

Cons: No XLR, no bass and treble controls, can't get the sound 'just right' For the damage this does to my sound, I'll use the gain controls on my amp for attenuation, and get along without it.
Not an audiophile piece.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by tilepronc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
Picked up one this week. My existing pre a vacuum tube pre. It still sounds great but wanted something newer. Read a lot of reviews here and lucky to have a honest audio dealer who happen to have a demo left. I personally think this unit sounds great. I experienced no hum and I thought it is very easy to listen to for 6+ hours. Can I get a better sound? sure for much more $$ My existing pre sounds a tad bit warmer and more musical but for the price this thing is a keeper. Don't understand why some knock the brand. Its a good product at a great price. Have it paired with a RB 1090. I'm happy until the upgrade bug comes back

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Ajani a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Rotel RC 1070 Pre Amp and the RB 1080 Power Amp to replace my NAD C352 Integrated Amp. Nothing was majorly wrong with the NAD, but I was looking for more spice and a more open and engaging sound. To put it simply, the Rotel was all that was needed to really take my system to another level of performance. The highs were clearer, the mids more detailed, the soundstage was improved and I finally got complaints from my neighbours about the bass on my system (for the 1st time in 2 years!!!).... Not that my aim was to disturb my neighbours, but I was impressed with the amount of bass the Rotel combo was able to squeeze out ot my Mission Volare 63 speakers...

For anyone looking a good pre amplifier, but not interesting in spending mega bucks, I suggest giving the Rotel an audition. The same goes for the Power Amp.

Excellent value for money!!!!

Purchased At:   Brack Electronics

Submitted by RWC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have been slowly building a Rotel System: RCD-1072 CD player, RB-1050 amp and now the RC-1070. This is a wonderful pre-amp for the money. Simple, clean, quiet, detailed and nice imaging. I could not find anything better for more than twice the money.

I'm not sure why a couple others have talked about hum--this is a very quiet amp, even with headphones. I would just say, if there's a hum, there's a problem. Bring it back or clean up your own power situation. As for the guy who hated his and thought it was junk, he must have gotten a lemon and should have worked with his dealer to rectify the problem. I had a drive unit go in the 1072, which was a month past waranty, and Rotel fixed it with no problem, and quickly, too! I think it's a great company.

For someone just moving into "high end", but not ready or able to spend the dollars for the truly great stuff, this is a very sound piece of equipment to buy. There are comprimises, of course, but it will provide great enjoyment of the music; I can listen to it for extended periods without fatigue.

The whole system works nicely together and with my System-Audio 1550s (Danish company-nice speakers). I am very pleased with this product and with all of my Rotel gear.

Purchased At:   Spearit Sound, Bosto

rc 1070

Can anyone comment on the characteristics of the rotel 1070 preamp. Would it be the best match for a rotel 1080, and a big step up over the preout sectionon a massmarket receiver???Read More »

Rotel RC-1070 Preamp . . .

just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this preamp? I'm considering grabbing one for my system. I am running Paradigm Studio 80's and a PW-2200 sub. I have a Rotel RB-1080 amp and am currently using my old Yamaha Integrated Amp as the preamp. Do you think this would be a worthwhile u ... Read More »

PANAMAX: