Rolls Bellari VP129 Preamplifiers

• Steel Chassis

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ArmyDicked a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2017

Bottom Line:
    When my Mechanic told me I needed a VALVE JOB, I told him Mullard 12AUX7s sound sweet for being modern stuff, but give me a NOS Telefunken, Madza or (British made) Mullard any day of the week!!! That's when he hit me in the face with the shop towel and sneered NO, the O-T-H-E-R kind---the one that makes me laugh and you cry!!! Ooooh I moaned!!!

I'm a Roller, not a Holy or a Spliff Roller---aTUBE Roller. Solid state is the only way to go if BASS, Drums, Horns & acoustic Guitars matter to you. You want valves on your PhonoAmp because I said so. If I must explain myself ,think ATTENUATION. My Mondail Design Acurus RL 11& Acurus A150 are bright and Analytical enough without slapping more solid state into the signal path. The Bellari VP129 mellows this down a notch making female voices such as Beth Frazier (Cocteau Twins), Souxie (&The Banches) and modern female singers such as Adele, Amy Winehouse & Patrisha Barber lifelike. This is the finest sub $500.00 outboard phonoAmp you can buy and I've lived in both heaven (Audio Alchemy) and down in the projects (Sumiko, that is...).

NEGATIVES: I adore HUMMING BIRDS and Linda Lovelace for her HUMMING skills but I don't like it when my audio equipment HUMS!!! The wall wart supplied with the Bellari is way, way too small and is the cause of the humming---I called Rolls and the suggested I upgraded to a bigger p/s and problem solved.

The second POSSIBLE "Deal Killer" is that the VP129 was designed for MM Cartridges O-N-L-Y. So if you have a stellar Koetzu low power MC,that you want to run, you S.O.L., Cowboy!!! Do what I did---dust off your HighComp Denon DL160 Cartridge and give that old MFSL Love Forever changes (45rpm) a spin ,[A Review of this brilliant MFSL LP is in the works]. FYI, Rolls Corp has released the new Bellari VP130 with the bigger P/S.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by r-l-b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
    I had some great expectations to this Riaa even though it is modestly priced.
    These expectations were fully cashed in by this little red wonder
    I have used Riias - built in - and externals ranging from the cheapest 50 usd to expensive custom built +2000 usd Riaas - but none! none of these Riaas have filled the room with this vast amount of musical enjoyment and harmonic space
    It may not be over-analytic or super-well-defined but is has this way of making you want to put on another Record and another and .. - in other words I could listen to it all day and all night with no fatigue.

I have tried it with Denon DL 103 with Beyer MC step up transformers and with Ortofon SPU Gold with JS MC step up transformers and with Ortofon OM30 Super MM as well as Denon High output MCs - I performs like an angel

My Bellari is the VP130 -

Purchased At:   Oddysey Audio Denmar

Submitted by starguygwb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
    For me this is a step up. I owned a Music Hall MMF 2.1 table and a Parasound phono pre-amp. I bought those to get my feet wet again after a directdrive table slowly left me playing cd's only. Loved the newer belt tables, so quiet. But stepped up to a Marantz table and the VP129. Now I know with the new table I might be not able to judge between the VP129 and the table, but I will say they both bring much more bass, sweetness in the midrange and a better image stability.
    I do leave mine on all the time, so its a matter of letting the rest of the equipment warm up for about an hour or so. I am wondering what other reviewers were saying about the different tubes. I would like to know where to buy them, or try some.

Purchased At:   Music direct

Submitted by kmulkey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
    This is my first outboard phone preamp. I am very satisfied with this unit. The sound is solid, not too bright yet the highs are still crisp.
    I do have one question for current VP-129 owners. Are there any issues with leaving this powered on all the time? I do exactly that with the rest of my electronics but I didn't know if the tube would burn out easier/sooner if you left it on. Thanks in advance.

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio

Submitted by shadyave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
    I purchased the Bellari to match a switch I made to a tube amplifier (Jolida). Previously I used a NAD PP-2 phono pre-amp, which was a decent performer. The Bellari is a clear improvement on several grounds however. The sound is certainly more warm and round, less bright than the NAD PP-2.

On my system, it has slightly less punchy bass, but the mid-range and high end are more natural sounding. Another benefit of the Bellari for my system was the ability to adjust the output. This means one can turn up the pre-amp rather than having to up the volume on the amp nearly as much as I used to. Users should bear in mind this phono pre-amp is geared towards moving magnet cartidges. One might be able to use a high output moving coil of 2.5 or more by adjusting the output level. I am still using the now extinct Shure V15VxMR which has an output of 3mv and the output level is dialed at about half-way.

I listen mostly to classical, piano, jazz, world music, and other acoustic music. Here the tube sound is a definite enhancement. I am not sure that rock sounds any better with the Bellari than with the NAD. I would also note, that mono recordings seem more lively and defined on the Bellari than on the NAD.

As with the previous reviewer, I have tried some other tubes. The best result has been with a 60's vintage Mullard which has made a significant improvement on the stock tube. If you have access to some 12AX7 tubes, it would be worth trying out a few to see what sounds best. The Bellari has a some other bells and whistles thrown in like a rumble switch, headphone jack, headphone volume control, and mute switch. I would have prefered to have one of these buttons be an on/off switch.

I believe it was rated a Class B recommended phono pre-amp in Stereophile Magazine in 2006; at 250 dollars, it is about 90% less than the cost of some other Class B phono pre-amps.

In short, the Bellari sounded great right out of the box, and met or exceeded all my expectations. It is an inexpensive yet high quality first step into tube sound.

Purchased At:   Acoustic Sounds