PS Audio 6.0 Preamplifiers

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Pedro Alexandre Ferreira Silva a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
Manda afinar o teu pré-amplificador pois não se fabrica mais mas duram muito.
talvez o Mp3 tenha mais qualidade, ligem uma fonte leitor de cd´s de gama adequada e talvez não seja assim tão mao.

Submitted by david hicks a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
this is for the 4.5 i think it sounds horrible,at least in my system, the first reviewer here said he used a carver c1? i dont know too much about the c1,but i will tell you right now,that the carver c2 outperforms the ps audio 4.5 in every aspect,even with the external transformer,theres absolutely no detail,no bass whatsoever.and this is compared to a carver preamp from the early 80's,the ps audio is 90's i belive.go ahead, i dare anyone to go buy a carver c2 for a 100 bucks,anywhere,and buy this 4.5,for about the same price,after all,you can always sell the ps audio when you realize its inferiority,and get your money back.

Purchased At:   private dealer

Submitted by Nalukoa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE 5.5 PREAMP!
I've owned this preamp since 1987 (I think) and it has served admirably to link my front end to the business end of my sytem through many changes. I upgraded my 5.0 to 5.5 status, which improved control layout and soundstaging over the 5.0. I also use the M-500 power supply (which would run a decent sized amp!), which should be considered essential. This has been a very reliable, fine sounding, solid state amp which was only bettered in my system (ML Sequel 2's, Bryston 3B, Denon 1500 and Straightwire cables at the time) by running the CD player directly into the amp. Even that config was only marginally more transparent than the 'straightwire' option the preamp gives you. Don't underestimate the value of the striaghtwire section. In the average system (reasonable cable runs) and a stout source output section (tuner/digital only obviously), the straightwire mode is hard to beat at ANY price. The phono section has superb loading options and is more than adequate for modest analog front ends. I still use the phono section for my Star/ET2/Aurum front end. You've got to get into the $2000 range to find a better new preamp with phono - if you can find one at all. Slight clicks/static on switch operation, no remote and so-so looks (I like 'em, some don't) are relative bummers in this otherwise excellent performer (better than its raved-about little brother the 4.5. Considering you can find this pre used for under $500, it is a bargain, and the fact that PSAudio is still alive and kicking (ass) is icing on the cake! SCORE SUMMARY: I'd give it 4.5 for sound quality (5 for straightwire mode, 4 for the line stage); 4.5 for value (5 for used value); 3.5 for cosmetics (like-it-or-hate-it-sleek-and-black); 4 for feature set (great, flexible phono, mono output option, no remote, "old fashioned" preamp - no processing); 4 for build (doesn't reach that Krell feel, more like a budget ARC). Recommended!

Submitted by The Defiler a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Bottom Line:

When I had first purchased the PS Audio 6.0 I was sorely disappointed,although it certainly brought certain voices to life it had a tendancy to roll off certain high frequency information. In fact I was so dissatisfied with my purchase that I had almost returned the unit. However my laziness got the better of me and I had failed to return the unit.
Now several months later I was experimenting with my QSC RMX 1450 pro sound amplifier I had been using it as a subwoofer amplifier. A friend of mine had asked me what sort of mini system he should buy. Instead of a mini system I had recommended the purchase of QSC RMX 1450 pro sound amplifier ,it had far more power than any cheap mini system 450 watts @ 4 Ohm stereo and 280 Watts @ 8 Ohm stereo. With a street price of $450 dollars I thought the QSC was an unbeatable deal. As a result of my suggestion I decided to see what sort of results my advice would yield so I plugged the QSC into my CD player and two old center channel speakers into my QSC. Unfortunately when everything was said and done the overall sound quality of the unit was harsh and unforgiving, although quite detailed. Every iota of vocal and instrumental detail in a particular piece of music seemed to jump out and compete for attention. Although this audio resolution and accompanying solid state harshness was tolerable on acoustic and vocal pieces,where it actually added more impact to various instrumentals,it had rendered pop music harsh and unpleasant.
As a matter of sheer curiousity I had added the PS Audio 6.0 preamplifier to the audio chain, the results were quite good. The PS Audio preamplifier filtered out much of the solid state hash I had been hearing and once again made pop music tolerable and vocal pieces absolutely splendid and compeling,at the cost of instrumental detail.
Although this preamplifier certainly isn't the best amplifier to use in every system it can certainly blend well with harsh,detailed and powerful solid state electronics. The PS Audio 6.0 is a must have for anyone who is using detailed yet harsh pro sound gear.

Purchased At:   www.saturdayaudio.com

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I know it's been almost 3 years since the previous review, but still, ditto to everything Jordan said. It is an extremely well made unit that sounds as good or better (at least in my system) than several other $600-new preamps I've auditioned. If you can find one in good shape at the prevailing price, it's a steal. I generally run mine in straightwire/bypass mode for the cleanest sound. The touch-sensitive controls for straightwire, bypass, and tape monitor are cool, except in winter. If I walk over to adjust the volume and forget to first release my static charge elsewhere (a good idea no matter what your equipment), the unit is likely to turn off.

Purchased At:   Audio Classics