Plinius CD-LAD Preamplifiers

4.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $2995.00

: The Plinius CD·LAD is a new high end audio preamplifier fitted with three inputs including a choice of balanced or unbalanced connections on CD.

Submitted by AJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've had a lot of gear in and out over the years, this pre is a real gem amongst them. I bought the MK1 model and upgraded it to the latest revisions (small revisions to both line and power stages)
To say the music is dynamic would be one way to describe how music through this has great tonality and presence, great slam.
Functionally, this component is a minimalist, I like the way the display can be be switched off, but has all the things I need, like a balanced input/output stage, phase reversal, and balance fader if I ever needed it but able to be defeated if not.

I use a plinius 8200P power amp, Lenehan ML1+ speakers - sources are a Teddy Dac for digital and Pro-Ject Xpression III Classic with Ortofon 2M Black via a PS Audio GCPH.

Submitted by kkltam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is an absolutely awesome preamp, especially if you only listen to CDs/digital front ends only. The folks at Plinius are totally cool also--they'd go out of their way to help you with any issues. The sound-wonderfully solid, quick, and with the kind of depth and clarity that you'd expect from this company.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Marc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
$3000 list price in either silver or black. Well built minimalist preamp designed around CD "ONLY" systems but with 2 additional inputs. Has single-ended and balanced in's/out's. Rugged remote control for all functions. Vacuum display. IEC outlet.

Purchased At:   Audiogon (used)

Submitted by Paul Williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this from a friend who was emigrating to match my SA-100 power amplifier and was completely surprised to read the review below mine as I have no hum at all with this combination.

In fact I would go as fas as to say that Compared to the BAT VK-5 pre it replaced, it trounces it in every respect. The depth of the sound stage increased hugely and the improved resolution was nothing short of breathtaking.

My only gripe was the lengthy run in period. My friend had not given it much use, so when I got it, it was virtualy new.

It takes at least a month to sound its best and wow how does it sound.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Paul Williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:

It takes at least a month to sound its best and wow how does it sound.

Purchased At:   Used