Pass Labs Aleph P Preamplifiers

Submitted by Pars a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
Really nice preamp. I bought this to replace a Counterpoint SA5.1 that I had owned for about 10 years, and had upgraded (and fixed) over time. I had built a clone of this just to check out the sound, and liked it so well that I bought a commercial unit. Mine is the one with the remote, which I bought instead of the earlier version simply because the gain devices are more readily available, should I never need to replace them (I have the service manual as well).

I thought this would just be a sidegrade from the Counterpoint, sounding much like it. I wasn't prepared for my initial reaction once I put it in the system. I was very pleased with the sound, being a significant upgrade.

The rest of the system consists of an Odyssey Stratos Plus power amp, Von Schweikert VR4 GenII speakers, and a couple of modified Rotel CDPs (RCD-991 and RCD-855, discrete output staged, clocking, etc.).

I purchased this used from a gentleman that offered it to me on head-fi, and it has been a very good purchase. I don't forsee myself getting rid of it. I like the form factor, build quality, circuit design, and implementation. Preamps other than the Counterpoint that I have listened to in my system include an Audible Illusions 2D and a VTL TL-5.5 (in my brother's similar system).

Submitted by lunchbox a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
Again I'm writing about this piece, as I wrote the review dated June 13, 2001. I've had this unit for 6 months now, having had the other P for a little over 3 yrs. From the time I sold it until replacing 3 yrs. later, I had ARC, Muse, Atma-sphere, BAT, Classe', McIntosh & Luminous Audio preamps in my system, along w/a Plinius integrated. I am so glad I was able to get another P in my system!

This unit differs from the first one, as it is the remote version. I had some internal pics from the first unit & compared them w/this one. The circuit design is a little different & although too much time has gone by for me to make a sonic comparison, this sounds better than I remember.

Why did I go back to an Aleph P? It's hyperbole to say a preamp (or any other piece in the audio chain) is neutral or uncolored; however, I just like the way this thing works & sounds. I also firmly believe that a well designed circuit, be it tubes or SS, is going to sound good. I've had both types in my system (amp, pre & CDP) and I don't have a bias towards one or the other.

So what does this do for me that the other ones didn't? Just going from the last couple of pieces, I went from the Atma-sphere to the BAT & liked it better. I then switched amps and 6 mo. later purchased the P. I liked the BAT enough to keep it but got a phone call asking if I wanted to buy the P, as I had expressed an interest in it from a previous conversation from a fellow audiophile. Since I had regretted selling the first P from time to time, I decided to make the purchase. It's actually a bit quieter than the BAT and has a smidgeon deeper soundstage, but the width & height are similar. I like my presentation to be totally absent of harshness & brightness & that's what I'm getting.

The only thing missing can be attributed to the quality of the very inexpensive CDP I have, which I will replace in a few months. I have auditioned several CDP's since I sold off my entire system 1.5 yrs. ago, so have slowly been piecing it back together. What the presentation lacks w/the current CDP is some detail & some high end extension, which was definitely there a w/better unit.

I'm not saying the P is the cornerstone of my system but it is very much a part of the sound I like and in all likelihood, I'll be holding onto it much longer than the previous term of 3 yrs.

Purchased At:   private seller

Submitted by Jeff a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
Again I'm writing about this piece, as I wrote the review dated June 13, 2001. I've had this unit for 6 months now, while having the other P for a little over 3 yrs. From the time I sold it until replacing 3 yrs. later, I had ARC, Muse, Atma-sphere, BAT, Classe', McIntosh & Luminous Audio preamps in my system, along w/a Plinius integrated. I am so glad I was able to get another P in my system!

Purchased At:   private seller

Submitted by Bae_junseok a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
i've used this pre.. 5 times..
the more i like music, the more i like this pre.
e'specially piano, vocal, and string..

this is the actual goal of musicality, not performance.

compare to the BAT, Mark, Jeff..etc..
this is not full of resolution, but full of sincearity..

after using many of this kind..
after all, i know this is wonderful preamp.

Submitted by RonnyT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is indeed an excellent preamp. I was looking for something better than my CJ PFR and I finally found it. I owned a Conrad-Johnson PFR, an Audio Research LS2B,LS 8,SP 11 mk ll and a Krell KRC 3 before settling on the Aleph P as the one to keep.

The Aleph P has allows inner detail and texture to come through much better than the others listed above. This is the most striking thing about this preamp. Also, the soundstage depth is fantastic, the width is good, and image stability is excellent. It is an excellent preamp all around. The remote is a work of art,solid heavy & user friendly

System synergy is paramount so I always list my associated equipment. Otherwise, the review is meaningless since the reference and context is missing. I use ATC 20T speakers, Mark Levinson ML3 amplifier, Pass Labs Aleph P preamp, and a Wadia 301 cd player.

I have treated and tested my room to make sure my frequency response is accurate so that I can rely on my opinions. This is all too often overlooked by reviewers.

BLG CP024: