Naim Nac 72 Preamplifiers

The NAC 72 is a more advanced Naim pre-amplifier than the NAC 92 with facilities for two tape recorders, tuner, and CD, plus an auxillary input which can be configured for a variety of moving magnet and moving coil cartridges by fitting optional plug-in modules.

The phono-capable input uses BNC sockets, which are better matched to the impedance of most arm cables than the more commonly used RCA connectors.

Full off-tape monitoring facilities are provided and a rotary switch conveniently mutes the output of the selected tape input. After switching on, output to the power amplifier is delayed until optimum operating conditions have been reached.

The NAC 72s versatility is complemented by circuitry that incorporates matched and time-aligned filters to maintain a linear phase roll-off at supersonic frequencies. The pre-amplifier's superb performance can be further enhanced by the addition of a separate Naim Flat-Cap, Hi-Cap or Super-Cap power supply.

Submitted by simone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
i become from a nait 3 as pre with hi cap power supply and the difference is amazing, more speed, stage,very detailed and warm sound...
IMHO used with hi-cap is a Hi-end preamp.

Submitted by Eric Anderson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
My set up is a pair of Epos ES22 speakers / Naim Nap 140 / Naim CD3.5 / and the NAC72. I recently up graded from the 92 and my impression of my system then was, great sound, not much for imaging, maybe I'm under powered because I seem to lack a richness I assume I should have. NOW! I honestly can say it's like a whole new system. Center Imaging is great / richness is as if I am hearing an added octave on the low end, highs are beautiful and airy. I was listening to Antonio Carlos Jobim and was so impressed with the placement of the instruments and vocalists. Another cd that sent me into vealot mode was Bill Laswell's dub remixes of Bob Marley. the reverbs and atmospheres on the CD were really brought to life with the 72. Best upgrade I have ever made dollar for dollar, trade in your 92 and get the 72. One tip I have found with my speakers is that they like to be farther apart than what I used to for the imaging, but at that proper spread I have no complaints.

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo