NAD C162 Preamplifiers

• “Blue Velvet” Alps motorized volume control
  • Input switching
  • NAD Link
  • 12V Trigger Output

Submitted by krishnan narasimhan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
i am using nad372 with165 preamp and 521 cdplayer alsodualturn table. I have connected to Jamo S708 pair and jamo sb300 subwoofer. i am using subwoofer as i am not satisfied with 372 low frequency response.
so,i have get preamp to improve the system

Submitted by makin_music a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased four NAD components including a c162 preamp. Of the four compnents delivered, two were defective including a bad transformer in this preamp. NAD designs their own products but are having them produced in cheap Chinese factories with poor quality control. While I appreciate my local dealer and NAD standing behind their product and replacing the defective units, there is no reason for this to occur at this price point. When you drop several thousand dollars on electronics, the fact that NAD has pretensions to be comparable with very high end systems does not excuse basic oversights and poor attention to detail and quality control. From a practical perspective, the NAD 162 only has direct on off switching if you want to bi-amp for one amp. So, if you want to bi-amp, this creates a problem of how to turn on the seond amp remotely. In their separate amplifiers, they have a 'sensing' state to turn themselves on whenever they receive a source signal from a CD player, etc.. But if you play the stereo at low volume, the amps turn themselves off. Again, there is a very basic lack of attention to detail. Buyer beware!

Submitted by final a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this Pre amp to drive my Denon POA-S10 Monoblocs. I have a pair of Final 0.3 electrostats and a Nad C542 cd player. What can I say... its a pre amp. I don't have a lot of spare hifi gear laying around and before I bought this setup it had been 8 years since my last decent system; so I can't really do real world comparisons.
Everything on the pre amp works and has never let me down.
No complaints about it.

Audible Illusions 2D Preamp vs NAD C162

I just became the owner of an Audible Illusions 2D tube preamp. Is anyone familar with this unit and have any comments? Also, could I have your opinions on how this should sound compared to my NAD C162 preamp? (which has better bass, fuller midrange?) I'm using this with an NAD C521BEE CD player ... Read More »