NAD 118 Preamplifier Preamplifiers

3.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1499.00

Signal/Noise ratio: 86dB

Submitted by Pike Bishop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
Hi all,I bought this in 2001(it was a demo model) reduced to half price.A nice ,sweet sounding amp ,partnered with a Quad 306 thru a pair of Kef 160.I concur with the above,there should be 2 tape inputs.Other than that its fine.Has anyone got a spare instruction manual ? Mine seems to have vanished.Slainte.

Submitted by Bendiesel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
I didnt want to anger anyone, but seeing as how I have found a like minded individual below I might as well make myself be heard too...
Out of all the items that I have purchased for home stereo this is by far the biggest dissapointment. This units construction consists of the cheapest components found: Everything from the plastic flimsy knobs, to the internal workings. The functionality can be almost laughable at times. For example, when you change the volume from the remote the console control remains fixed in the same position. What can happen then is if you have volume set extremely high on the knob, and then turn it down (or even off) with the remote, you can (just by touching the knob again)make the volume go from zero to full blast instantaneously. Its those kind of large design errors that beggs the question; how can NAD have such a good reputation? OR more importantly, how can this piece of garbage be in Sterephile's Recommended Component list? In my mind the answer is quite easy- marketing! Advertisers in the magazines purchase an image, and in the case of NAD, the illusion of quality. I challenge anyone to unscrew the case of this component and take a look inside at the "quality" that NAD outsourced to have another company build.

Purchased At:   mail ordered from Bo

Submitted by Bendiesel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
This model is simply overrated junk. It has a well known and advertised name, but very little in terms of substance. This is a wonderful piece to look at, but with a little examination you can tell it lacks any form of craftsmanship. This component is precisely why buying interconnects is such nonsense.

Purchased At:   New England

Submitted by vgind a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
An absolute stunning piece of equipment. Silent. Clear as Baccarat. Hooked up to Marantz M500's in biamped configuration. Only for hardcore stereo nuts. No HT freaks need apply

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio Excah

Submitted by Stuart a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought the NAD 118 as a brand new but discontinued model after some serious search on the web. While the whole world seems to be going HT, none of the four sound systems at my house is a HT system, as I still do not believe there are enough good classical or for that matter any recordings out there featuring major artists (such as Karajan and the BSO, etc) that can benefit from these 6.1 or 7.1 channel setups. After hooking up the NAD 118 to my NAD 218 THX and the original Definitive Tech BP20, I cannot believe how nice some of my CD's sound through my Sony CA8ES CD changer. The 118 also does wonder to the radio sound from my Revox 760 tuner, a classic from the early 80's, as it filters out most of the noise from the FM transmission that my NAD 116 cannot do. I presume the 118 can probably do wonder to my extensive vinyl collection as well, though I am still waiting for my phono preamp I ordered to arrive. The NAD certainly broadens the sound field I experience from cassette tapes played through my Yamaha KX-R730 (from 1993) and I presume it will do magic when I finally get the chance to hook up my Revox A700 and play some of my favorite open reels. I am also hoping to buy a CD recorder and at some point a true digital tuner when digital FM broadcast becomes available. In short, the NAD 118 is a wonderful preamp and I am glad I was able to pick up a brand new one. My other systems consists of a few Tandbergs (amp, preamp, tuner, cassette deck and receiver), Carver, NAD CD player and 2 Sony ES CD changers, PSB and Jamo speakers, Dual 750 and B&O 8002 turntables. While they all sound quite good, my NAD 218 THX/NAD 118 combo is in a class by themselves and they both made the recommended equipments published by Stereophile (that audio magazine for the lunatic).

Wood Technology: