NAD 116 Preamplifiers

4.53/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $199.00

Submitted by LPCAUDIO a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
If you have the oppurtunity to come accross this pre-amp, then consider your-self very fortunate. Excellent piece of electronic engeneering. This one of a kind device will bring out the most subtle detail of any media you decided to run through it. The best part, XLR Balanced outputs!
I have mind hooked up to a RANE ME60 EQ, and then through a RANE AC23. After that it breaks up into 4 Carver PM series amplifiers. The highs are handle by (2) Carver PM-300 bridge to provide fully balanced audio signal output for Left and Right channels. The Mids are handle by (2) Carver PM-600 bridge to provide the same fully audio signal output for Left and Right channels. The Lows are handle by (2) JBL E250P on each Left and Right Channel in addition to also (2) M&K 76 that are assinged to the Left and Right channel also. All audio interconnects between devices is purely Balanced/XLR. As far as power filtration and stabalization a Monter Power HTS 3500 is at the heart of everything.

Submitted by hyperpsyched a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
First, the MSRP listed here is a joke. If you find this unit used for that price then you have made out like a bandit!

This preamp replaces the preamp section on a NAD 306 that itself replaced a RC 980 BX preamp. I can only really compare it to the sound of the preamp section of the NAD 306. The NAD 306 preamp section itself was far better than the RC 980 alone. The 316 is, comparatively speaking, fantastic. Clear wide sound stage and the transparency and depth is the best I have yet heard. I am a vinyl lover so a good phono section is important and the 316 does NOT disappoint. I have found that the phoho section on NAD units has always been a strong point and this is even more true of the 316. Quiet and capable of pulling great detail out of my vinyl. Sounds very natural and open compared to the pinched harshness of the RC 980's phono section. Quite often I find the speakers just disappear into the soundstage, a trick the Rotel could never pull.

I have noticed some tuner and cd bleed through into but ony at volumes that would shred by power amps (bi-amping two Rotel RB-03's) and probaby cause tweeters in my speakers to burst into flames. Not a problem. Though to be honest this is one problem I did not notice with the RC 980. But the Rotel always produced some white noise, even at 0 volume.

There was also a striking difference in bass reponse. Whereas my speakers always seamed anemic in the bass department with the Rotel they came alive with the NAD. This I discovered when spinining Bullet in the Head by Rage Against the Machine. Deep controlled bass. The mid-range is also very nicely articulated. Higher frequencies such as cymbal strikes are never harsh, but then my speakers have never been bright. However they seemed harsher with the Rotel in the chain.

To summarize, I find the NAD 316 much more musical and less fatiguing then the RC 980 BX which the NAD 316 replaced. This is only my highly subjective opinion of course. That said, I recommend the 316 if you can find it.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by LowHighEnd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
Bought this preamplifier, after been using my C320 as such, driving one NAD2400.
(later on upgraded to two NAD2400, one 2400 bridged amplifier per channel. )
I wasn’t surprised that I would sound better when using a separate preamplifier setup, but this little thinge is SOOOOO good. Clean, sparkling and detailed sound. I can only agree with all the good words in the other reviews. (Slight tuner bleed thru at highest volume, but in my system using the dual NAD 2400 this volume level would be bizarre and Hazardous.) If you spot this amplifier second hand, buy it!! It’s woth every penny!

Purchased At:   Local ad, private se

Submitted by Keith a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough good things about this preamp. There's no need for tone controls when running this with an amp of reasonable power such as NAD's own 208 or 218THX. Try to find a better value. The price I paid was a steal for a brand new unit. Funny thing is that the model which replaced this gem (Model C 160) hasn't gotten as good of reviews. And they plagued it with pointless tone controls.

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio Exchange

Submitted by bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I tried a "factory reconditioned" NAD 116. It sounded beautiful through my speakers. There wasn't a trace of audible noise. The phono stage came off as a bit bright to me, but that may be because my prior one wasn't great. Also, I barely broke it in. The separation of the phono stage impressed me.

At maximum volume, there was a touch of tuner bleed-through, but that would never be noticed when actually listening to music. Unfortunately, the right headphone channel had a weak but annoying hum. I unplugged everything but the power cord and headphones, and the hum persisted. I often listen to classical music with headphones, so this was a real disappointment. While I was tempted to open the box up and reroute wires as suggested elsewhere, I didn't for fear of voiding the warranty. So it went back to the good dealer for a refund. Too bad, because aside from the headphone defect it sounded delightful.

Purchased At:   Spearit Sound