Mystère ca21 Preamplifiers

• Output Impedance: 592 Ohms
  • Inputs: 4 pair RCA

Submitted by Arnold a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2014

Bottom Line:
This is one beautiful looking and beautiful sounding tube preamp. The finish is a thick appearing glossy black luster, giving it a high end appearance. Quality wise this preamp is not a wimp, it is very sturdy built and quite heavy, around 54 pounds I believe. There are 4 RCA input channels selectable via the rotary dial on the the left side, and one RCA output. The right side rotary dial is for the 24 stepped volume control. Well, you can read a lot more about the cosmetics elsewhere, I sum it up with truly stunning and impressive looking. The sound is probably what matters most. I can only speak for the stock tubes it comes with since I have not rolled any tubes yet, but might try out some Sophia tubes later this year. This tube preamp sounds very revealing and dynamic with a nice big sounding holographic soundstage. Instruments and voices just sound right. Cymbals have a nice long decay with the ringing you want to hear. I have spend quite some time in the last couple of weeks to re-experience all of my favorite albums and can only say wow! Beautiful midrange, fantastic bottom extension and a high frequency range that reveals all the details. I love the sound of this preamp. The downside you need to accept if you choose to live with this preamp is that there is no remote control ( fine by me- I just set it to the volume level I listen to and control a few increments on my PS Audio PWD Mk2's output volume!). Another thing that you might be turned off by- there are no XLR inputs or outputs, everything is RCA. I ended up using XLR to RCA adapters to connect the preamp to my NewClear power amps XLR inputs, works just fine. The sound is crystal clear with a very quiet background. I highly recommend the Mystere CA 21 due to its beautiful appearance and fantastic sound quality. The better your interconnects and equipment, the better this preamp will sound; I just upgraded my RCA interconnects to the new Wireworld 7 Silver Eclipse, and could right away hear a wider soundstage with even better resolution. Give it a try if you are in the market for an affordable tube preamp, this one does not disappoint.

Submitted by Arnold a AudioPhile