Musical Fidelity X-P100 Preamplifiers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

Remote Control Preamplifier - 5 Line Level Inputs - MM Phono Input

Submitted by David K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I took both this and the A3CR home for audition, the newer A3cr is probably the more analytically correct in its overall presentation. It was however the X-P100 I purchased quite simply for its total ease at which it allowed music to flow from the speakers. Its ability with soprano voice astounds, but its ability to also to clearly define complex bass lines in Disco/dance music has had me digging into my record collection further than i have for a long time. So pleased I got this before it goes out of production.

Submitted by Richard Goldsmith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wasn't even thinking of buying a new pre-amp, but my friend bought one and was raving about it. I heard it in his system (a system I am very familiar with) and was very taken. I then borrowed it and tried it in my system. I was instantly convinced. He let me have it at home on the weekend, so I gave it a thorough work out, which just convinced me further. I went to the shop the next week and ordered mine. That describes the degree of impact this component had upon me. It reinforced for me yet again the importance of having a quality pre-amp, which often seems to be the weak link in many systems.

It replaced a tube Audion Innovations L2 pre-amp that I had in my system. By comparison, the MF has life, and really sings. It has tuneful bass, extended, sophisticated highs and is dynamic to boot. At nearly AU$1700 (about US$850) it is not exactly cheap, but worth every cent as far as I am concerned (and you get remote volume/source selection as a bonus).

Special mention for the MM phono section, which is very, very good. In my view, it beats the separate X-LP that I had (and which I traded in on the X-P100) although it lacks the MC flexibility of the X-LP.

I know people throw around 5 star reviews on this forum like confetti, and I normally wouldn't. However, to break with tradition, here goes another 5 star review!

Purchased At:   Grenfell Hi-Fi

Submitted by Wim Joos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I think it's impossible to find anything better at the price even at twice the price you would have to look very hard to find better. Even my girlfriend had to admit that this was a one of a kind preamp. She was as impressed as i was. When i Bought it they told me i didn't have to expect too much the first few days, but they should have said to expect even more after a few days. With the XP100 cold and right out of the box music comes to you. When it's a week old it's ... (no matching words found). I'm very happy with this preamp, this is the real thing.

Submitted by John Matin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
The sound is ok for the price. it is fine detail and control but it's bright balance and uninvole sound for me which i prefer more krell sound, something warmer and better soundstage but again price? krell is more expensive.

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Mac is a very powerful and warm sounding power amp. Paired with the XP-100, the combination is almost a perfect balance between clarity, open soundstage, and tight warm mid range and bass. Very musical indeed without being harsh. Prior to the XP-100, I had auditioned a Mac C15 preamp and owned a NAD preamp. No comparison, even the Mac. The Mac was good but did not have as much definiton as the XP -100. The Mac was also not as quite as the XP-100. No nonsense, but I was definitely hearing music that wasn't there before.

The XP-100 is well built.

The missing headphone preamp is not a big deal. For the price and performance of the XP-100, one can afford a dedicate headphone amp.

60.0 WA BLACK: