MFA Magus A2 Preamplifiers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by birdman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
have used & loved my mfa magus a-2 since first hearing one & after reading the glowing reviews of the preamp in TAS & Stereophile. i had 11 preamps previously but this has been & stayed in my system all these years. it gives me the 3d silky sound of tubes. much quieter than the old c-j it replaced plus a better phono section. i run 2 tables one w/mm cartridge, the other a michell reference table w/win strain guage cartridge thru the linestage. my amps are kenwood L09 300 watt monoblocks. spkrs upgraded maggie IIIa's to 3.6 w/o newer x-over. did i say this preamp images!!!! there are many preamps out there tubed & ss but few will present the music w/the illusion of live that this will w/o spending a lot more money. bruce moore (hifi legend) & scott frankland designed the MFA's. 'nuff said.

Submitted by Kurt101 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned a Magus A2 for the past 12 years and have always found it to be highly musical when mated to my solid state Belles power amp. It does have a few minor issues such as a detectable noise floor and a little bit of ground hum in the phono section. It’s also not quite the last word in transparency, dynamics, or extension at the frequency extremes. That said, however, this preamp has so much to offer in terms of sheer musicality that it’s an absolute steal at current used market prices ($400 - $550). The phono section sounds excellent and will handle MM and high output MC cartridges. When I bought the Magus, it replaced a solid state NAD preamp and the improvement in sound was very dramatic. I also compared it to a Conrad Johnson PV-10, a Carver preamp, and a Melos preamp. Compared to the CJ PV-10, the Magus had more detail and transparency but a slightly smaller soundstage. The Melos preamp had more detail but CD’s were very harsh and unlistenable. Music through the Carver preamp had absolutely no “life”. The Magus made CD’s sound decent and offered the best combination of detail and transparency. It also infused the music with a certain degree of liveliness that I found to be very appealing. During the past 12 years, I have had the opportunity to try a couple of pricey solid state preamps in my system and was very disappointed in their sound. I was always happy to put the Magus back in the system. If you’ve wanted to see what tubes might have to offer in your system without spending a bundle of cash, I can’t think of a better tube preamp to try than a Magus.

Submitted by Sam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have the A1 version. I have heard the C version.
But the A1 is better! Problem with the Magus is tube
popcorn noise. The problem can be almost solved with
the Sovtek built-like-a-tank military 6922.

The Magus measure 0.1% distortion at 2V output with
only 2nd harmonic distortion and no visible 3rd harmonic
distortion.

A classic tube preamp. Just buy it and you won't
regret. A perfect match with the BEL 1001 solid
state amplifier.

Hint: I found that Radio Shack used to sell the
exact volume pots replacement for a couple bucks.
I replaced them and they sound great! Probably
the old ones worn out. They are the cheap ALPS
brand. Please don't E-Mail me about this. Visit
Radio Shack stores yourself to find out more.

Submitted by bima stagg a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
Unbeatable value for a full-function all-tube preamp.

Submitted by Matt Carnicelli a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've owned a Magus for about 5 years now, and have been reasonably happy with the unit. The preamp has always sounded sweet and musical (with a truly magical midrange) even if, in comparision to the Sonic Frontiers Line 1 I recently had a chance to audition extensively, it lacks extension on both frequency extremes through the line stage and is, in truth, much less transparent. Also, the preamp supports only two inputs (one line, one phono) and a tape loop -- so if you're looking a preamp with a lot of inputs, you might want to considered another unit. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the virtues of the phono stage since I long since gave up my turntable. Tonally, the units splits the difference between classic tube sounding gear and more "accurate" designs such as Audio Research and Sonic Frontiers -- and provides, in my opinion, a very good balance. The unit has tons of gain: 28 dB through the linestage (and somewhere around 50+ through the phono). The Magus retailed for $995 in the late 80's, and can probably be had for about $350-$450 today -- which for a preamp with a phono stage and a magical midrange makes it an excellent value.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile