McIntosh C712 Preamplifiers

4.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Submitted by bestsmurfs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Really a great preamp for the money, especially if you can buy it used in the $ 600 range. The controls are a little small and inexpensive looking when compared to the older Mc stuff. Inside everything is miniaturized. The sound is very precise and fast as noted by previous reviewers. I immediately liked the very detailed sound despite it being a little on the edgy side.

I bought this preamp for my second stereo and interchanged it with my McIntosh C-40. The C-40 is just as detailed but is much more refined on the higher frequencies. This is most notable on a violin concerto where the smoothness is very apparent. The C-40 lacks remote control and has an absurd number of additional controls and features for the average critical listener like myself.

Both pre-amps have loudness controls that can really fill in the bottom freqs when listening at low volume. I’m not such a purest that I need to keep it flat. I usually tune it so it sounds like music, but never boomy. Most of the time, I don’t even need to turn on the sub.

Recent magazine reviews have substantiated that McIntosh has not lost their glory and several of their models offer exceptional value for the money.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Escaladeur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This preamp has just blown away my expectaions. I was previously a Krell fan (for too long!) and now I have discovered McIntosh. First off was a Mc2125 that offered superb sound for 25 years of age but was not quite fast enough for my kind of music. I recently got the c712 and McIntosh 7100 (see review of it too) and am just amazed at the speed, clarity, depth, resolution, focus, bass extenstion (truly impressive), and an overall envelopping warmth that these two convey. My former Krell KAV250p was dead sound-wise with a dumb remote but I did not realize all this until now. The C712 has just the features I want and nothing I dont. It has balanced outputs, bass and treble controls good for those crappy CD recordings we all sometimes get, loudness compensation (more useful than I once thought!), beautiful looks, easy to use knobs and not any miniscule black buttons, and awesome fit, finish, and looks. I just love it! I am keeping it for a long long time, that is for sure.

Submitted by Graham a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've auditioned a large variety of preamps over the years, including Proceed and Mark Levinson. In my home environment, nothing has given me any reason to upgrade from my Mac.
The phono section is quiet, smooth and detailed enough for anyone that wishes to listen for a serious audition. Overall sound quality is very close to the newer, higher-priced McIntosh preamps. Perhaps if I had a large, soundproof listening room and the luxury of huge amounts of free time, I might be seduced away from this very complete preamp. I doubt it.
In the meantime, we enjoy non-fatiguing, finely detailed sound, a good soundstage,7 inputs, a choice of balanced or unbalanced outputs and an excellent remote control. If you can find one used, buy it! This model is superceded by the C15 preamp.
Associated Components:
Joseph Audio RM25si speakers

Purchased At:   Sound Plus

Submitted by Kim Ji-Tae a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good price, good sounds.
Tone and loudness control knobs are very useful in home listening conditions.

Purchased At:   Seoul

Submitted by Andy Block a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
This "entry level" pre-amp was McIntosh's least expensive in 1995 at (gulp) $1500! However, it's simple construction is excellent for durability/reliabilty and sound quality. It has standard inputs for tuner, phono, video, and 2 CD players, all of which are selected by a rotary dial on the front panel. Two tape monitor/copy buttons control listening and tape to tape recording independent of the source dial. Independent "listen" and "record" dials are preferable, and available on better McIntosh models. Frequency equalization is available by single "Bass" and "Treble" knobs which are electronically removed from the signal path when turned to the "flat" position. I don't use these because they're too "heavy handed" for quality listening. I do use the "Loudness" knob. Yes KNOB, which allows the user to adjust the amount of "loudness" re-equalization (bass and treble boost) applied to the signal. It sounds hokey, but I like it! It also has mono and mute buttons and is almost fully controllable by remote. (The remote is beautiful although it's organization is only so-so.) This preamp sounds great! It adds little or nothing to the signal and the phono pre-amp is smooth and gutsy at the same time. At first I thought the highs were a little sharp, that it had a "clinical" sound, but after having owned this for 5 years I love the sound and have finally started listening (like the audiophiles) without any equalization. The incandescent bulbs behind the glass display panel have burned out twice. What a hassle. I wish they had just used LEDs. Overall, and especially for sound quality, this pre-amp is nearly perfect!

McIntosh C712 preamplifier For Sale

As some AR Forum members might be award I inadvertantly became the owner of [I]two[/I] very good preamps -- but I can't justify two, so I've got to sell one of them. :frown5: My McIntosh C712 preamplifier is in perfect operating condition. Asking US$600. Cosmetically it is near mint except for ... Read More »