McIntosh C40 Preamplifiers

- Seperate Listen and Record Selectors.
- Listen and Record Processor Loops.
- 5-Band Program Equalizer.
- Moving Magnet Phono Input.
- Compandor to Expand or Compress Dynamic Range.

Submitted by sharpeman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
Just a great sounding pre. Its got the mac feel. Like the Balanced outputs . Will be holding on to this for a longggg time

Submitted by Helge Gabert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
The McIntosh C-40 is a refined, neutral pre-amp. It is refined because it lets you hear even the slightest musical details at low volumes, and at high volumes, it is rock-steady. It is neutral because there is no coloration. I really liked the Sunfire classic pre-amp, but when I put the C-40 into my system, it became immediately clear that the Sunfire was colored (you can hear it on piano -- the upper registers have a sheen about them). Also, McIntosh's own C-15 doesn't appraoach the performance of the C-40 (the C-15, in comparison, is too brittle at the top, and the C-15's tone controls are comparatively crude).

For me, this one is a keeper. Mate it with a McIntosh amp, like the MC-352, and good connector cables, and it's synergy made in heaven!

Submitted by Howard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I reviewed a number of preamps while upgrading my system. I started with a B&K PT-III. As soon as I powered it up, I was immediately dissapointed. The bass all but disappeared and the soundstage was virtually nonexistent. There was a lack of controls on the unit as well (yeah..I know, only wimpy audiophiles use things like bass, treble, equalizers, and loudness). This was mated to a B&K power amp at the time. I traded the PT-III immediately for a McIntosh C-15. The difference was incredible. The bass was back, the speakers were unrestrained, and the soundstage reappeared. I then decided to switch to a McIntosh MC602 power amp and I was very happy with the system. I then found a great deal on a C-40 on eBay. From what I read, it was one of the best solid state audio preamps made by McIntosh. I couldn't pass it up and bought it. Wow, the system now really opened up! The preamp is warm and tubelike and drives the amp effortlessly. There is even a built in 20 wpc monitor amp that is equipped with the powerguard and power sentury circuits. The controls on the amp are to die for. A 5 band equalizer, my long lost loudness control (variable), and ability to switch speaker channels without touching the wiring. After almost a year, I must agree it's one of the best audio-only preamps ever made by McIntosh. After listening to the C-42, I'd still choose the C-40 over it. If you have an opportunity to find a C-40, grab it. You won't be sorry!

Purchased At:   used on eBay

Beovox C40

Hello friends, I wonder if someone can help me getting startet with a pair of Beovox C40 speakers I got from my grandfather. I actually just listen to my music from the computer, but I guess I will need a receiver to use the C40's. Do I need B&O equipment or would they work with any brand? Can ... Read More »

FGH 26: