McIntosh C40 Preamplifiers

- Seperate Listen and Record Selectors.
- Listen and Record Processor Loops.
- 5-Band Program Equalizer.
- Moving Magnet Phono Input.
- Compandor to Expand or Compress Dynamic Range.

Submitted by TXinD76121 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2016

Bottom Line:
Basically got the C40 for the 5-band equalizer because I have some CDs that are very badly mastered that I wanted to be able to correct (Throwing Muses' "The Real Ramona" for instance is recorded incredibly hot--it takes huge bass boosts and huge treble cuts to get it to sound right). It worked very well for that. Now I use it in a pure vinyl system and I've discovered that the phono section is really excellent. Makes every TT and cartridge sound better. The flexibility of the preamp (mono switch and variable loudness are also nice) is why I bought it but the sound quality is a nice bonus. I actually had an entertainment center custom-built and designed a shelf to fit this perfectly, so I guess that means I intend to keep it for a while. :-)

Submitted by sharpeman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
Just a great sounding pre. Its got the mac feel. Like the Balanced outputs . Will be holding on to this for a longggg time

Submitted by Helge Gabert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
The McIntosh C-40 is a refined, neutral pre-amp. It is refined because it lets you hear even the slightest musical details at low volumes, and at high volumes, it is rock-steady. It is neutral because there is no coloration. I really liked the Sunfire classic pre-amp, but when I put the C-40 into my system, it became immediately clear that the Sunfire was colored (you can hear it on piano -- the upper registers have a sheen about them). Also, McIntosh's own C-15 doesn't appraoach the performance of the C-40 (the C-15, in comparison, is too brittle at the top, and the C-15's tone controls are comparatively crude).

For me, this one is a keeper. Mate it with a McIntosh amp, like the MC-352, and good connector cables, and it's synergy made in heaven!

Submitted by Howard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I reviewed a number of preamps while upgrading my system. I started with a B&K PT-III. As soon as I powered it up, I was immediately dissapointed. The bass all but disappeared and the soundstage was virtually nonexistent. There was a lack of controls on the unit as well (yeah..I know, only wimpy audiophiles use things like bass, treble, equalizers, and loudness). This was mated to a B&K power amp at the time. I traded the PT-III immediately for a McIntosh C-15. The difference was incredible. The bass was back, the speakers were unrestrained, and the soundstage reappeared. I then decided to switch to a McIntosh MC602 power amp and I was very happy with the system. I then found a great deal on a C-40 on eBay. From what I read, it was one of the best solid state audio preamps made by McIntosh. I couldn't pass it up and bought it. Wow, the system now really opened up! The preamp is warm and tubelike and drives the amp effortlessly. There is even a built in 20 wpc monitor amp that is equipped with the powerguard and power sentury circuits. The controls on the amp are to die for. A 5 band equalizer, my long lost loudness control (variable), and ability to switch speaker channels without touching the wiring. After almost a year, I must agree it's one of the best audio-only preamps ever made by McIntosh. After listening to the C-42, I'd still choose the C-40 over it. If you have an opportunity to find a C-40, grab it. You won't be sorry!

Purchased At:   used on eBay