McIntosh C100 Preamplifiers

- Dual Chassis.
- Moving coil, Moving Magnet Phono Inputs.
- Balanced inputs and outputs.
- Balanced Circuitry.
- Digital Volume Display.
- Source Trim Adjustment.
- Full-Function Remote Controlled.

Submitted by Nibrels a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
This McIntosh Preamp has the speakers melting away disappering as if one is at the live performance. I have owned the MX132 & C15 and taken the time to compare them to the C100/P100. There simply is no comparison, the C100 is a far superior product. While it may be a bit on the spendy side, it is by far the Best Preamp I have ever had the good fortune to own. It really sounds fantastic driving a pair of MC1000's. There is a wonderful depth to the sound stage with a bass presence at power levels below 1 watt that provides a perfect balance to the midrange & tweeter. As the volume increases everything is in perfect balance. Truely one of Mc's Best Preamps.

Submitted by Pantophil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
This top of the line Mac is a fabulous preamplifier. I've used it for more than a year now and haven't found anything to criticize. It's very transparent and allows you to listen deep into the subtle nuances of the recording. Living with it I came to realize that my previous preamps were a limiting link that didn’t let me see what my system is really capable of. Now, everything is much more open, the soundstage extends far beyond the walls of my room (especially depth has to be commended). I would say that the overall character is neutral, no part of the spectrum seems to be highlighted or subdued. The bass has great extension and nice slam, always in control, never boomy or soft (way better than Conrad Johnson Premier 14 that I had before). The mids are very nicely fleshed out, rich and refined. The mids are actually very tube-like in character, making voices sound very palpable and real. The top end is well extended, clean and very smooth, again with no grain or glare that so often plagues solid state designs. The C-100 in the midrange and treble sounds like a very good tube preamp (considerably better than BAT VK-5i and Conrad Johnson Premier 14), but the bass and dynamics are solid state at it’s best. In my opinion it’s a much better preamp than the units down the McIntosh line. I owned the C-41 briefly, and although it’s a good preamp for the money, it simply couldn’t even approach the beguiling naturalness and liquidity combined with great transparency that the C100 offers. To me it’s one of the best preamplifiers ever made and I will probably hold onto it forever.

One last thing: this unit greatly benefits from a good power cord. Elrod EPS-2 worked great for me.

Submitted by Manfred Albrecht a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the best pre-amp McIntosh has built.Outstanding sound
reproduction,free of noise and coloration.Superb volume control and a trouble free unit.Excellent phono stage.

Purchased At:   Rowe

Submitted by Mark Warwick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used many preamps in the past and none better than this. In my system this unit does not add, nor take away anything and this is what a preamp should do.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Eric a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
When McIntosh states that this is without question the finest audio preamplifier ever created you better believe it. If you use it with other fine components, you will not notice its presence in your system, which is what is all about. It does not impose restrains in dynamics, distorsion, coloration, etc.

Sansui PM-C100

I just scored some free Sansui pm-c100 speakers, but i can't seem to find any information about them on the internet? Can anyone tell me anything about them? Are they rare or something? Perhaps even worth a little money?Read More »

McIntosh C100 versus C2200

I am considering upgrading from my current C41 preamp to either the C-100 or the C2200 model. However, as I have no chance of auditioning them where I live, I would be grateful for any comments regarding their respective sonic performance.Read More »