McCormack TLC-1 Deluxe Preamplifiers

passive preamplifier

Submitted by Peter Khomenko a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is best preamp under $2000. Very good transparency, very natural midrange, for many hours of listening comparison, pop and rock lovers will choose the buffered line stage and for jazz, country, classics linteners will prefer the passive stage much more clean, more transparent, but not so aggresive like the active line stage. i believe this is a perfect product for many listeners. highly reccomended! wanna give 6 stars but no phono stage reduce it to 5

Purchased At:   Singapore

Submitted by Alastair Fraser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is for the McCormack Deluxe Line Drive Preamp. I believe it is the same as the TLC-1 Deluxe. If not, disregard this rating.

I found this preamp slightly used for $425. Probably the best deal I've ever made. The sound is absolutely transparent, using this preamp I found sound far better than the vintage McIntosh I was using. I currently run the preamp with a NAD 2200 amplifier. I can hear a minute amount of hiss if I place my ear against the tweeter of my speakers, but this is from the NAD, not the McCormack. The level of hiss does not increase even when I turn the volume all the way up on the preamp. There aren't many preamps that can be said about.

The only negative feature is the volume adjustments are very touchy at very low volumes, which can be a pain, but it is easy to manage once you get used to the preamp. When I first bought it, I assume some static buildup had occured while sitting on the shelf. This caused some very loud pops when first using it, and for the first day of using the volume control. I managed to discharge it, and that seemed to solve the problem, it hasn't returned.

I heartily recommend this preamp. The clarity can't be matched.

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is the best sounding preamp for the money and then some!!!!!!Beutiful midrange and the shear tranparency is incredible.

Purchased At:   van L speaker works