McCormack Micro Line Drive Preamplifiers

4.78/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $595.00

3 inputs, tape loop; 1 active, 1 passive output

Submitted by Jim VD a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
I wrote a review many years ago here on this Pre. It has been my only Pre-amp since 1995. I have inefficient speakers (Mirage M7si) so I use active mode more often.

From what I've read here, nobody knows of a better pre-amp than this one under $1,000 or even $2k. Get one if you can, as they seem to be very hard to find on the web. Probably because nobody will part with it.

This amp will keep surround sound away from your system for a very long time.

Submitted by Mark M a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I believe that everyone here that posted review on that product used it in passive mode. In active mode I get fatigue and switch back to passive. My system is built for passive pre-amplification: Sencitive VTL MB100 amps that always work in ultra-linear mode(due to the small voltages applied) and need just 0.75V to perform 100W/ch and 1.1V to output 110W/ch, ARC PH3 phono with EAR MC3 step-up trany that output together nearly 2V out of my Lyra Helikon SL cartridge. So my system is no as is solely depend on source components meaning that any investment towards upgrade will more benefit from changing source than amplification(not counting speakers)
I'm not satisfied with active performance of this unit but I'm not satisfied as well hearing other active units such as Bryston BP25, EAR834L, VTL TL2.5. I.E. every time I've tried to come back to active seeking more punch and dynamics with measurable or no success at all with sacrifice of transperency naturality and details, the bottom line was passive Line Drive. I admit that this unit doesn't have such quality parts as Placette and it certainly lacks a couple of quality stepped attenuators(BTW I've modified this unit to have those from Marchand Electronics -- the result was absolutely great!).

Submitted by chris shaver a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable unit. This preamp (in the passive mode) is almost not there. You can hear huge amounts of detail and the highs are extremely smooth. I was using a Mccormack DNA 0.5 and the bass from this combo seemed a little muddy and less than crisp. (This was somewhat alleviated by using the active mode) I just found a Levinson 27.5 which I have always wanted. The bass of this system is now perfect. Tight and very dynamic. I am going to mess around with the cables to get the vocals just right but it is real close to my idea of perfection. I will be keeping the MLD for a long time.

Purchased At:   this site

Submitted by G.L. McCullough a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been through way too many components.
Started with Audio Research LS2B MK II and Acurus A-150
I should have never sold the AR piece.
Then on to an array of integrated amps all of which were horrible.
Krell KAV 300i
Bryston B60 R
Audio Refinement Complete
Sold them all!

The MLD is a great piece of audio equipment, possibly the best for the price. I have auditioned nearly a hundred amplifiers to find the right one. The MLD is small enough to tote around to audio shops and friends houses to test the sound. Hats off to Steve McCormack for his ingenuity to build such a wonderful pre-amp.

The active stage has adjustible gain settings +1,+6,+12db and the unit has a passive bypass also.

The active stage has great extension from highs to lows and the bass is rediculously low and tight. The active stage has a bit of hash but this is only noticeable because the passive stage is so liquid.
The passive stage is a little rolled off on the leading edge of transients and the bass is not ass tightly defined.
I also find the treble is not as extended or present in the passive mode.
Some individuals have noted this might be a interconnect problem, something I will have to look into.

Other than these minor quibbles the unit is highly musical and joy to use. Simple and effective.

Current System:
JM Lab Cobalt 810 Speakers
McCormack Micro Line Drive Pre-Amp
McCormack DNA-125 Amplifier
Marantz CD-17 MK II CD Player
Straight Wire Octave II Speaker Cable (Prototype)
Straight Wire Encore II Interconnets (2 One meter pairs)
Chang Lightspeed Line Conditioner

Purchased At:   Encore Audio

Submitted by Turk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I think this is one honey of a preamp.To think that you could get this level of performance for the money is awsome.I use the unit as a passive preamp, I have enough bass out of my Snells. As a passive preamp the detail is great,so is the clarity. It really took the edge off, and added a richer fuller sound. I do not think I am going to be buying a preamp for many years.

Purchased At:   stereo retailer