Marsh Sound Designs P2000B Preamplifiers

3.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

Balanced Line Stage Preamplifier

Submitted by saudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the balanced (p2000b) solid state version of the Marsh preamp. I am using the XLR to my amp. I got this unit from audiogon, at a great price and couldn’t be happier. The build quality is good, not like a tank though. However the insides are very good, and that’s what matters. Nice simple layout using top quality parts. The sound is great! A big step up from my previous pre (which I did not consider a slouch). Accurate, uncolored sound with a dead silent background. Big uncompressed dynamics flow from this pre with no problem. Loud dynamic swings just happen, unfettered and very clear. There is also a lot of detail from this preamp, but not unnaturally so. The sound is crisp and clear. The highs are extended & focused, not harsh at all. Smooth and natural. Nice full midrange, no electronic glare-very natural. It is rich, but I don’t think anything is added, just sounds right. It’s the balance between detail-timbre & accuracy that make the mids sound, well natural. If you want a gooey (colored) tube like sound, this is not your preamp. The bass is also extended and full. I would say it’s controlled and tight. I am hearing more detail in the bass etc. than ever before. Transparency is also a strength. The music occupies the soundstage clearly, and different instruments don’t smear together no matter how quiet or loud it gets. The soundstage extends plenty wide and deep. It’s nice to hear into the soundstage (front to back). I don’t understand the previous reviewer; may have had a defective unit. If you look into this pre, you will find it has premium parts like audiocap and exotica capacitors, ALPS controllers, true dual-mono design including separate power supplies, and ‘Class A’ operation. Nothing cheap here. Although I will say the remote control is kinda small and unimpressive. But it works well so no big deal. Only other complaint is that the case cover is somewhat thin metal. I put my hand on the preamp while playing music, and it vibrates some. I do have it up on vibracones, but I intend to dampen it with a Sorbothane sheet to remove any last vibrations. Also I am using good power cords, not the stock ones. To sum up, I got this pre used and am very happy with its sound quality. What it does-or rather not do to the music is wonderful.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Glenn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just have to rave about this product. I tried it as a demo from Audio Advisor and I was hooked instantly. I had been using an AES AE-3 with some great NOS tubes which had an awesome midrange but the bass was not well controlled (like many tube units). I plugged this thing in and WOW! The bass is as tight as can be. It purrs, it growls, it plunks like a dream. Amazingly, the midrange is still about 95% of the tube magic I got with the AE-3. I couldn't believe I was listening to solid state. Another huge improvement is resolution. It's so crisp I can almost "see" the music. Finally, it has the relaxed presentation that make tubes so comforting. I don't know how Richard Marsh did this for $1,300 but he is to be commended. I challenge you to find any other preamp under $3k that comes close to this.

I should mention I also use a Marsh Amp which probably takes the quality up a notch due to matching. I can't say enough about Marsh products. In my mind, they are clearly the leaders in terms of startling quality for the dollar in this industry. Highly recommended.

FYI, the rest of my system is Classe 1.5 CD player, PS Audio Power Conditioner, Silver Audio interconnects, Audioquest Forest + and Midnight bi-wire speaker cables, and B&W Matrix 802 speakers.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Jerry Emrileskye a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
First off I am 42 and have been working in recording studios for over 25 years. So, this unit was given to me from a friend, it was new and in the box so I figured what the heck lets see what it sounds like. Please see my equipment list below so that you have no reservations as to my qualified attempts at making this product appear at its best. I am in no way trying to suggest that this product be a direct or even equitable to some of the equipment I own or have used this would obviously be an injustice to this product and the others used here, as the p200b is inferior. I plugged in the unit and waited for the sound to obtain any form of transparency or stage, which never came. The Audio was flat and appeared dry (as in a dry wine). Was the frequency response as bad a my 1971 transistor radio no, however the cycles per second this unit can provide is limited to the quality of internal components based on its price point (REALLY BAD). Avoiding the A/A paradox was easy by A/B sampling against my other tube preamps (bellow) and assuring an equal testing environment. I tested the output voltage – just to make it as fair as possible, my room has been optimized with its dimensional ratios and I tried playing phono, cd and reel to reel through this unit but….. I guess it is hard to explain in such detail the so many shortcomings this “tube” preamp has. As it is not even 6922 material I also tried many sets of tubes trying to find a better definition of sound from the unit but the processing of the signal was destroyed be the inexpensive build quality. I am sure that if I ever had to pay for this product it would be returned just due to the fact it cant live up to whatever supposed hype there is about it. The simplicity used to place tubes in this unit was like a first attempt at designing something with the word “tube” in it. I have heard so many other tube and solid sate preamps that would out-do this p200b with ease. No reviews on this product can only solidify the lack of people owning them due to the fact these reviews are directly based on a percentage of product owners. My suggestion is to do your research before any product which will be difficult on this product because apparently there isn’t enough people owning one of these boat anchors so please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   Friend