LINN Linto Preamplifiers

Direct Coupled Precision Phono Preamplifier. The ultimate source component for those who have and cherish a vinyl record collection. Launched to mark and celebrate the Silver Anniversary of the Linn Sondek LP12 Transcription turntable.

- Surface mount circuitry minimises interference, noise pick-up, inter component coupling, microphony & radio breakthrough.
- Super silent power supply with Linn Brilliant SMPS technology provides immunity to mains noise or variation.
- Choice of two gains settings so it can be used with both low & higher output moving coil cartridges.

Submitted by davidluvsaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Guys, I’ve just finished my first evening with my new Linto. I have a vahalla/cirkus/ittok II/klyde and a kairn(phono/brillant) and klout. This thing seems to have made a bigger improvement than any of the other source upgrades I’ve made (from a linn axis to LP12, I think I went through every one I possibly could). All I know is this thing seems to change the character of every record in my collection in terms of harmony, tempo, and general high/mid/low sonics. The bass is not quite as strong, but it is much more articulate and tuneful. That seems to let me go a little louder on the volume which is really in fact like getting a bit larger power amp in the deal to boot. I got lucky and got mine used from a guy who is now running an asthetix IO (megabuck) phono. He says the linto does surprisingly well against it (although not quite the equal of course). Even though I got mine for $1000 slightly used, I would have to admit that the full new price of $1700 still makes it a really economical upgrade. A used kairn pro w/brilliant (easily had for $1000) and a new linto has got to be a tough duo to beat at only $2700. Oh, BTW, I’ve come across lots of people that claim that the linn stuff is way overrated and way overpriced. Well then, why do I have to spend THREE TIMES THE PRICE OF MY EXISTING COMPONENT if I want to upgrade to ANY different brand? I have even myself questioned my dealers sales pitch that “even if I spend more on a different brand it won’t sound as good “, so I do it anyway, and damn it, that’s exactly how it ends up! Oh well, I can’t wait to abscound on a lingo and ekos. I think I read in a linto review a while back that after getting one of these you’ll end up with records everywhere all over the tables & floor from listening to one after another nonstop. I’m having the same problem.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Johan Saarm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
First I used the Linto with my Troika cartridge and it was an amazing improvement compared to the Wakonda. Resulution, dynamics and I got a whole new record collection! I still sensed that the level of out put was on the low side and I did not really get the macro dynamics that I wanted.

Then I changed to the Arkiv B and everything snapped into place. I Basically have no complains. It was clear that the limitations I percieved earlier were on the cartridge side not the phono stage.

I now have basically a "master tape" feel from my LP playback. It is definitly not "bloomy" or "rosy" or "warm" - it just sounds right - for me. It is the natural upgrade for all Linnies with Karins or Wakondas and you will not be disipointed.

Purchased At:   High Fidelity, Stockholm

Submitted by tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
System
LP12/Ittok/Klyde or Troika
Croft Vitale SC pre amp (line only
Quad II valve power amps
Quad 57's

various cables I can't be arsed to name.

The outputs of my Linn Klyde and Troika MC carts is too low for any normal preamp that I've come across - so I needed a drastic, affordable solution. I listened to the EAR 834,whilst good it's a bit woolly to use with the LP12 and Quad stuff.

The Linn Linto seemed the only way to go, the box is as boring as you can get- one black box and an on and off switch, BUT the improvement in sound over other MC stages was phenominal, after 3 yrs it still amazes me.

IF you use any low output MC I'd recommend it.

tim