LINN Kolektor Preamplifiers

4.69/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $990.00

Ten clear solid-state paths for music. Micro-processor control of multiple inputs and RS232 connectability.

Submitted by Mr. Zdur a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Bottom Line:
This preamp is an outstanding value in today's money. I keep on thinking of upgrading to to the Wakonda or the Kairn because it sounds so good; but each of the alternatives have their drawbacks and finding the top model of them is very difficult. The earlier circular brilliant power supplies are problematic and the Kolektor has no such issues. for around $400 for one in great condition with a remote, it is a great deal.

I got hardcore into Linn recently. I started with Tukans and soon bought 2 pairs of amps and the Kolektor after chasing heavy extruded aluminum macho components. once I heard my LK85 beat my Class A Threshold amp I knew this kit was the real deal.

I use this pre in my second system with my computer and an Apogee duet + a beogram TX with MMC 2 cart for a turntable. I play the pre into a pair of Linn 5105s running aktiv Tukans. I use this setup for listening and studio work. Resolution is very high with this aktiv system and it can't really be compared with a passive system.

My main system is better sounding, but this one has low fatigue and is a joy to listen to.

Submitted by GordonT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent quality preamp from LINN. After auditioning it for few months, I felt in love with this amp so much that I want to have LINN products to replace all my audio components in my system. LINN has long been recognized as one of the major high-end audio equipments producers. Make no mistake, the Kolektor one the best pre-amp available in the today market.

Purchased At:   N.Y. city

Submitted by srplus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
For its price an excellent piece of equipment which benefits from, or requires, excellent sources such as the sondek turntable or at minimum the ikemi cd player. A cheap upgrade (approx 200 dlrs) is a rebuilt lk1 amp where all except for the RIIA ha been shut down (the RIIA is still excellent despite the age of the design, especially considering it´s´price as a second hand commodity). The quality of the inbuilt phonostage is debatable but OK. A separate RIIA also allows for MC to be used. The preamp has also grown with improvements such as upgraded CD and improved turntable or upgrade to Linn silver interconnects. The preamp is also able to drive a poweramp situated as far away as up to 10 meters (according to Linn). Works fine for me with poweramp situated 6 meters away, between speakers.

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by michael a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just purchased the Linn Kolektor / LK140 combination to replace my beloved 15 year old Linn LK280 / LK1 rig. Have no fear, the latter gear is still going strong and is a great home office enhancement.

Twenty years ago I bought into the "Linn For Life" benefit and have never looked back. Moreover, Linn really takes care of their customers which is the best part of their value proposition.

Without question, Linn has made remarkable advancements in their entry level gear. The LK140 and Kolektor sound absolutely wonderful together. Clear, crisp, clean and powerful. I really could not be happier.

My other equipment includes a Linn Genki, LP12 / Basik / K9, Quad FM4 tuner, Nakamichi CR-3A tape deck and Thiel CS2 speakers.

I've now come to realize that the Thiel CS2's were slightly underpowered with the LK280 but not anymore. My thought of replacing them with Linn speakers have vanished since they have never sounded better since being driven by the LK140 / Kolektor.

I'm hearing things I never heard before. It's marvelous!

I'm a Linnie for life!

Purchased At:   Local Hifi Shop

Submitted by Ola Nyberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
In my previous review (posted over a year ago), I stated that the Kolektor doesn't have a tape-loop. This is not true, I had misunderstood the meaning of the term. There is a "tape out" output, so there is a tape-loop. However, there is no listen-record switch.

Since last year, I have replaced the power amp (from Rotel RB-991 to ADCOM GFA-585) and the CD player (from ARCAM CD72 to Sony CDP-XB740, believe it or not), but the Kolektor remains in my system. Still love it.

Purchased At:   High Fidelity, Stock