Krell KRC Preamplifiers

Submitted by Leo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
After replacing my midfi preamp (no name mentioned) with KRC-2, suddenly I can hear all the detail, it is so crisp clean. The musical instrument sounded so lively. I took a step further to see what made the difference in sound reproduction. Here is the result by using a function generator and a scope:
1. KRC-2 bandwidth goes beyond 10 Hz and 100KHz. My midfi is between 40 - 20k.
2. No significant phase shift between frequency 10 Hz to 100KHz. My midfi starts to see significant phase shift 10KHz.
3. Square wave on KRC shows no significant distortion between 10Hz and 100KHz. My midfi shows huge distortion at 10Hz and 100KHz.
4. Noise level at quiescent, KRC noise level is 1/3 of my midfi preamp.

Conclusion: KRC is a true world class preamp.

Submitted by mmt a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
An extraordinary pre-amp. Mine was bought new in '93 and is still used as a reference! It is extremely transparent, detailed and sweet.(probably due to the differential FET input stages) I have other Pre-amps etc but I would never willingly part with the KRC. The remote also controls Krell's monoblocks.
System :

Hovland Reference speaker cable
EW Andra's

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Krell KRC-3 v Krell KRC HR PreAmp

Hi everyone. I have a Krell KRC-3 but wondered what are the differences between the KRC-3 and the KRC HR? Is there a big difference? and would it be worth buying it second hand and part ex the 3? Thankyou, Regards, quadRead More »

Award-Winning Axiom: