Krell KRC-HR Preamplifiers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $6900.00

Submitted by casablanca1969 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2008

Bottom Line:
Sound very direct, detail and presenting wide stage and presence.

Purchased At:   Singapore

Submitted by Peter Avgeris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bouth it about six months ago and I have not come yet in front of a better performing preamplifier.
I was searching around for many months, in order to find the least colored, most neutral preamp., the one which would not give even the slightest signature of its own, on the overall performance.
I had auditioned to many preamps, but no preamp was the 'completely vanished' or 'no preamp' at all.
This was the single one machine that did not color or degrade the sound to the tinniest. I am using Audio Aero's Capitole 24/192 and whenever I tried to connect it directly on the power amp, I never stated any difference on the performance. Even now that Krell has released the newly designed CAST model (KCT), you cannot find the KRC-HR in the second hand market, probably because nobody wants to give it away.
In case you find it, buy it immediately, or you will lose it. The new CAST equipped KCT is definately an inferior preamp, it lacks the neutralness of KRC-HR and is not so 'musical' like its ancestor.
My system is:
Audio Aero Capitole 24/192 CD player
Krell KRC-HR preamplifier
Krell FPB-200 power amplifier
Apogee Diva loudspeakers

Submitted by The_Krell a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Superb pre-amp. I also have the reference phono board fitted and can honestly say it sounds fantastic. Also concur that a good power cable will increase performance dramtically all across the range. Very smooth and quiet.

Submitted by Dave a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this pre-amp after auditioning a number of high-end solid state pre-amps over a period of 3 months.

Partnered with the Krell 300cd and FBP 250M, it was the most transparent pre-amp producing the widest soundstage of all the equipment I heard.

The level of detail and bass slam is outstanding but I wouldn't describe it as "bright". It produces (with a high degree of fidelity..) what's on the disk. So much so that you'll soon identify (and discard!) poorly recorded material.

For best results, I recommend use of balanced inputs(there are two sets)and outputs.

Any criticisms? The remote looks a bit dated but is build like a tank (like the amp itself). Also a good quality power chord between the standalone power supply unit and your wall socket is essential. In my system, I got increased 3-D depth / dark background in the silences.

In summary I conclude that this is a reference standard pre-amp. It will rival anthing as the best solid state pre-amp in the world. With Krell introducing the CAST Current Tunnel pre-amp, in my view, it will become a second hand bargain (if you can get hold of one).

Submitted by Lex a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
As Peter said and then some!I replace my Mark Levinson #380S with the KRC-HR and no looking back! Everything that been missing from ML#380S are all in KRELL KRC-HR's!From Tops to Bottoms Krell's just plain better.My Revel Salon's Sound Much Bigger and Fuller!This one is going to stay and ML's have got to go! Outstanding Preamplifier at any Price!

Premier Mounts: