Harman Kardon HK 825 Preamplifiers

Champagne coloured HK pre-amp

Submitted by W Fuss a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit several years ago off of ebay, as I am an electronics hobbyist. It was very lackluster until I started replacing the aging electrolytic capacitors with modern high quality ones. This unit now is the equal of many very expensive modern units. I have tried it with SE tube amps and PassLabs amps and would not hesitate to replace my Aleph P with it except for the lack of remote control.
If you're handy pick one up and go to town on it, you wont be dissapointed.

Submitted by Eric Hayes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
As a small manufacturer of vacuum tube power amps, I was looking for
a decent preamp for my marketers to use until I develop a tube line
amp I'm happy with. I dusted my old 825 off (which I've had since 1988)
I was reacquainted with the neutral transparent sound that got me into
tube amps in the first place.The phono preamp reproduces an accurate
square wave down to 20 Hz and up to beyond 20K with 300mV of
headroom (set bass @ 11:30 and treble @ 1:30). I immediately went
out and bought two more.

Purchased At:   SoundWaves/Ocean St

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I read the other reviews on here and agree with most..I am pretty prejudiced against solid state, as i much prefer the tube sound, but i've found that good solid state stuff can sound very good driving a good tube amp...and this Preamp is a bright shining star for a hundred, 25 bucks! I am driving a Music Reference RM-9 with it and its doing an outstanding job.. very fast, good detail, good clarity, good depth, and imaging.. Quite a sweet rich sound... and with the RM-9, the sound is quite good and quite "tubey". i would not say it is as good as the top end Rotel preamp, but then it costs about 10X less, and the difference is definitely not remarkable,.. i suspect some users of the hk 825 may have gotten a hold of one that wasn't in top notch operating condition and did not have a very positive experience , but i have to say for the money it is awesome..

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Steve Smith a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Hey, if you want good, clean, solid sound, but don't have the money for "audiophile" equipment, purchase the HK 825 and perhaps the matching 870 power amp and just listen to the music. I would think (subjectively) that the 825 would sound as good under most conditions as very good (expensive)audiophile preamps and sound much better than the new $2000
multi channel amps and receivers. I purchased an HK825/870 combo in 1987 and sold them a few years latter to some "music loving" friends who still own them and use them everyday. I still enjoy listening to music played through them. Four star sound, 5+ star value.

Purchased At:   King's Audio, Springfield IL

Submitted by Emmanuel Manon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Any piece of equipment, no matter how expensive or "high end" has been executed for a best match involving all the elements in the chain from connectors and cables to the main components from "front to back". That has been my approach and learning for over more than 15 years and the approach of professional reviewrs. The fact that Bill has a "Counterpoint pre-amp that went to have service" doe not entitles him for such a harsh judgement without showing us how was "his" evaluation process. I seriously disagree with Bill's judgment. After my evaluation I can conclude that the HK 825 is a good product and gives good performance when compared with equipment of more recent execution.
Harman Kardon should be commended in their consistency in producing good sounding equipment for over 50 years.
Those who want to consider the hk 825 should evaluate it in a context of optimized system integration.

PANAMAX: