Hafler 915 Preamplifiers

4.15/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by mjtab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
Very quiet, warm, full bodied sounding preamplifier with professional build, solid controls and a wonderful volume control that provides a balanced sound at the lowest levels.
Especially outstanding MM/MC phono stage that is exceptionally clear.
Tone control circuitry is very good, doesn't add any any distortion and actually usable to tweak recordings without adding any distortion.
Compared to much more expensive preamps I've owned, it is not the most detailed, but it has a wonderful, musical and captivating sound.
Highly recommended.

Submitted by JohnJE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had sworn off solid state preamps after buying a Dynaco PAS-4 a year ago. It ended the nasty digit-itis I was suffering from.

Funny think tho, as I upgraded my CD front end to an MSB Link 3, 192 K output from my player, beefier power supply and some upgrade power cords I found my old Superphon Revelation Dual Mono was sounding better. Once upgraded, I started to prefer it over the tube Dynaco. Even after sending to Stan Warren for BlackGate cap upgrade, it was a bit hard sounding, though dynamics and resolution were great.

I bought the Hafler Series 915 cause it was cheap, I was intrigued by it's Class A JFet design and it had a headphone output. Darn,if it isn't the cat's meow! - quiet, easy to listen to, flexible, just a joy for so little money.

Why is it so good...I'll let Andy Szabo of Acoustat fame answer that...

Purchased At:   www.echohifi.com

Submitted by lilmo4 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the 915 new without hearing it before-hand because over the years I've grown to trust Hafler products.. I don't know what kind of fence posts the guys that give this preamp a poor review are/were using for speakers or what brand of amp they had in their system.. It is obvious there was a mismatch somewhere..

The 915 was described as having a tubular sound which I took with a grain of salt before buying but in this case it's true.. There is not one hair of difference in the soundstage or qualities between it & a Sonic Frontiers-1 that I have in my system at present..

Match this preamp with either a Hafler XL series or a B&K amp in the wattage you prefer and you will have it all...period..

Submitted by Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hafler did go back to the drawing board.
They got out of home audio altogether.
Sure you can still buy the 9505
but if you check the web its all
about studio now.(Hafler's roots)

I own a 9270 and its done me well.
Definitely better than ANY Adcom amp.
But I would look elsewhere for solid
home audio equipment.

Submitted by Richard Nagle a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I need a preamp to fill in for my McCormack which is going to the shop, for a repair ( first in 6 years. ) So, I purchase the Hafler 915. Comparing the Hafler to McCormack, was very interesting, since they both are fast, and have good bass.

But, that were it ends, I thought the McCormack was wide in forward, with a touch of air, that would give the sense of Live Music Feel... When switch back to the Hafler, I saw the sound was narrow, and not forward, but laid back, with a loss of that high air sense.

I heard that there are some mods for this preamp.. that may be a good way to go, to improve sound stage.

The Pieces of Music I used, was DIDO, I no angel.
Track # 8, 9, 10,

The Hafler does a good job, but its not close to the McCormack ALD-1.

Purchased At:   private owner

Pioneer vsx-1015 vs 915 vs 815 please help

i'm looking into these receivers and i need advice: price for new +shipping 1015: $400 120wx7 915: $305 110wx7 815: $255 100wx7 other than wattage which goes up by 10 watts per upgrade, (im pretty sure the 100w would suffice for me) do any of you pros know why i should should c ... Read More »

High End: