Denon DAP-5500 Preamplifiers

4.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Submitted by Henk Koudijs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2013

Bottom Line:
It is very well built everyone agrees and if you are lucky you can score one for as little as 500 euros. But when you listen to it you will notice it is the harsh digital sound that prevented me from listening to cd's for tens of years. Be aware that if you want to keep listening to it for another 25 years it is imperative you replace the elco's. In the audiopart.(it dates back to the late 80-ies) It takes at least (Jaap never told me) two days of servicing at a rate of a lot of money per hour.

Only when Jaap de Jong modified this unit for me in 2007 I was won over. For the first time in my life I heard smooth extremely detailed and never ever harsh digital sound. The best you can get in the world !!!

Thanks a lot Jaap.

Henk Koudijs

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best thing that ever happened to my audio-experience.... I´m a sucker for strong well-defined bass, and that is just what this pre-amp is the master of.
It also has a clear midrange and not too much "ringing" from the high-range - especially the album "Wide open Spaces" made by Dixie Chicks is a very good experience when listened to through this pre-amp.
I´m using an optical fiber connection between the CD and Amp.

Purchased At:   internet marketplace

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
I was very impressed with the excellent construction of this unit. It is solid! I bought it to replace an older Bryston preamp and it was in a package deal with a pair of Denon mono blocks to which it is well matched. I was pleasantly surprised at the detail of the music. It was a little brighter than the Moon series equipment I had also auditioned that day but never the less the value was amazing. This product offers great flexibility with having both analogue and digital in the same box and was manufactured (early 90's) when Denon was leading the industry in mid-fi digital equipment.

Wood Technology: