Creek Audio OBH-8 Preamplifiers

4.22/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

MM & MC Phono Pre-Amplifier

Submitted by OperanutLGB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased my OBH-8, which sold for $200 when new, for $60, from a fellow audioguy, on Audiogon. I did so as a way of re-entering the world of vinyl after having forsaked it in favor of CDs/SACDs some 10 years ago. ( Bad Move: Now, I am building a new collection mainly buying from a local dealer in NYC who sells some nice things for $1 each!)

The little 8 looks like a toy, but sounds better than anything else under $250 I have heard to date. ( I recently purchased a Sim Audio IPS, which listed for $700, when new, for $200,.. and I prefer my little OBH-8!)

Hey! Where is that nasty hum that many people talk about when, in the same breath, they extol the sonic virtues of the cute little OBH-8? I feel as though I've been left out of the "club",because mine is as quiet as a (dead) mouse!

For another $75 I plan to get the upgraded power supply and expect to be very happy for years to come for a total expenditure of $135.( I'm starting to sound to myself like a commercial, so now I'll Cool it!)

Submitted by Dan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm nothing special. Just an ordinary guy who'w looking for truth in the music. Seriously .... there's a ton of voodoo crap out there that will supposedly improve your sound, but the Creek OBH-8 (not the SE model) does the job and more. All the feedback on this board regarding hum did not play out in my situation, and I live in the center of a city. Geez... from what I read from the other users of this product, I was ready to hear nothing but hum when I turned on my turntable. Nothing of the sort occured. Yes there is a slight hum, but that is related to the cartridge/tonearm and nothing else. Hardly audible, and completly within parameters.
The OBH-8 phono preamp is an excellent buy. I am very hard on products and it takes a great deal to satisfy my scrutinizing ears. I'm not going to sit here and sling out "tremendous bass extension" and "the ultimate transparency and soundstaging". NO, instead I'm going to invite you to order this product from AUDIO ADVISOR and try it out RISK FREE for 30 days. They guarantee satisfaction or your money back. (This is my interpretation of they're guarantee which I believe is accurate). So if you're looking for a beautiful sounding phono preamp at reasonable price...you're on the money honey. Creek delivers as always.

Enjoy..

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Was able to do a head to head comparison of the Sumiko, NAD, and Creek phono units at an audio shop. Based on that comparison, I went home with the Creek. Some folks will prefer the Sumiko to the Creek. It is definately quieter, but it just seemed to loose too much energy and detail -- made the sound somewhat dull and uninvolving. I don't mind a little bit more noise, just want to make sure I can get into the music. The creek made me want to dance. Base notes seemed more articulate. People who prefer Vinyl to CD will prefer the Creek. Folks who just want an inexpensive phono unit to play their old LPs, but prefer the sound of CD's, will prefer the Sumiko. The NAD was in last place.

My home experience has been the same. No problems at all with the unit itself. Don't even think about it now. I use a Linn table, amp, wire, and speakers. I did demo the Linn phono unit and the Creek at another shop. The Linn is really good (leaves all the detail and energy, but cleans things up a bit), but the cost difference just did not seem justified. If you can find one used, or have the funds and you must have the 'best', you will enjoy it. I am very happy with the performance of the creek.

Submitted by David Park a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
First of all, I have the OBH-8SE with the power supply from the standard OBH-8 (don't ask), so that's what I am reviewing.

When I finally upgraded my receiver from the old JVC to a Marantz SR7000, I lost the phono input for my Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable. Obviously this is not high-end audiophile gear, but I still wanted a decent preamp to get the most out of my (and my parents') vinyl. I did try the cheapo Recoton SP2 first but quickly determined it was complete junk, so I replaced it with the Creek.

I'd like to echo the positive comments by others here. Subtle improvements were apparent on new vinyl, and the differences were even more obvious with older vinyl. There was less noise combined with greater detail, providing an overall "cleaner" sound. There wasn't a night-and-day difference compared to the JVC, but that leads me to believe the preamp is just doing its job and not coloring the sound.

Unlike the other reviewers, I have not noticed any RF interference. With the ground wire from my turntable attached to the preamp, I can't even detect any hiss even with the volume cranked to the max.

In short, I think the Creek is a great bargain that will serve me for years to come, even if I upgrade to an audiophile turntable. I could probably detect a slight improvement from a more expensive preamp, but I would rather spend that money on a decent cartridge and, more importantly, new records to enjoy.

Submitted by Andrew Kruglanski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
The sound produced by this inexpensive phono stage is incredible.It is far better than anything built into any receiver I have ever heard, including the best flagships. It brings my old records to life in a way I had not imagined possible.

I did have a hum problem when I first installed it because it will amplify any signals picked up by cable. Therefore, it requires really good insulated interconnects. When I connected my turntable cable directly to the phono stage with no other cables anywhere near them, and them ran a quality insulated interconnect from the phono stage to my receiver the hum disappeared without a trace.

I am using the phono stage with a B&K AVR307 receiver, 7 B&W 800 series nautilus speakers, and a velodyne HGS12 sub.

Purchased At:   soundstage.com