Conrad-Johnson PV5 Preamplifiers

• Tuner Auxiliary
  • Polypropylene capacitors

Submitted by tomh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had my PV 5 for many years. This all tube preamp use 5751s,5965s and 12AX7s tubes. The preamp is very well made. The sound is rich, open and very dynamic. The phono stage is moving magnet only but has a awesome amount of gain. The result is a phono stage that is punchy, dynamic and open. The preamp is well behaved as it uses a turn-on relay which eliminates turn on and off thumps. These preamps couple very well with tube power amps and solid state amps. I've used mine for years with a Sonic Frontiers tube power amp and earlier with an Adcom GFA 5802. Highly recommended.

Submitted by samvogt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
Ok, so I saw my CJ PV5 preamp listed, but no reviews, so I decided to write a little something. I've had the PV5 for about 6 years now. It is extremely smooth and involving. Excellent midrange vocals. These are very well priced, and a small price to pay to enter the high end stereo arena. I sent it back to CJ about 3 years ago for tubes and minor repair. Excellent service! I am using this unit with a Mark Levinson 23.5, NHT 3.3 speakers and CalAudio Icon CD (as you can see, I am a budget audiophile). Wow!! serious sound! The amp and the speakers are a little forward, so I think its good to have a softer preamp. It was well reviewed when it premiered, and considered a landmark piece among audiophiles. The only drawback is that it is single-ended and not balanced and no remote(would love to go balance to my Mark Levinson). I still think it will hold up to many of the current preamps for triple the price!! Contact me if you have any questions.

Purchased At:   Consignment