Conrad-Johnson PV5 Preamplifiers

• Tuner Auxiliary
  • Polypropylene capacitors

Submitted by Bruce Braynard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2017

Bottom Line:
An audiophile friend of mine asked me to sell his Conrad Johnson PV5 for him, so he put it in my hands to do so.
He had sent it back to CJ for some kind of upgrade and a new set of tubes, and did not use it much after it returned.
I set it up to listen to it in my system.
Although it had a reasonably nice sound, it had ZERO imaging. It was totally void of any depth, and I quickly noticed this situation.

My Marantz 7c just blew it away as far as imaging. The Marantz 7c is an imagine beast, with wonderful air and placement around instruments, and is very holographic.

This lack of imaging was noticed with the preamp used as a line stage, and as a phone preamp.

I sold the PV5as fast as I could.

Bruce

Submitted by tomh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had my PV 5 for many years. This all tube preamp use 5751s,5965s and 12AX7s tubes. The preamp is very well made. The sound is rich, open and very dynamic. The phono stage is moving magnet only but has a awesome amount of gain. The result is a phono stage that is punchy, dynamic and open. The preamp is well behaved as it uses a turn-on relay which eliminates turn on and off thumps. These preamps couple very well with tube power amps and solid state amps. I've used mine for years with a Sonic Frontiers tube power amp and earlier with an Adcom GFA 5802. Highly recommended.

Submitted by samvogt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
Ok, so I saw my CJ PV5 preamp listed, but no reviews, so I decided to write a little something. I've had the PV5 for about 6 years now. It is extremely smooth and involving. Excellent midrange vocals. These are very well priced, and a small price to pay to enter the high end stereo arena. I sent it back to CJ about 3 years ago for tubes and minor repair. Excellent service! I am using this unit with a Mark Levinson 23.5, NHT 3.3 speakers and CalAudio Icon CD (as you can see, I am a budget audiophile). Wow!! serious sound! The amp and the speakers are a little forward, so I think its good to have a softer preamp. It was well reviewed when it premiered, and considered a landmark piece among audiophiles. The only drawback is that it is single-ended and not balanced and no remote(would love to go balance to my Mark Levinson). I still think it will hold up to many of the current preamps for triple the price!! Contact me if you have any questions.

Purchased At:   Consignment