Classe DR 6 MK II Preamplifiers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $3295.00

Preamp phono both MC/MM with line stage

Submitted by todds7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is for the gold-handled DR6 -- I'm not sure which version or year it is.

I've been very pleased with this amp. Although solid state, it has a warm, tube-like sound, without the hassel of rolling tubes. I like the separate power supply and I really appreciate the balanced (XLR) inputs and outputs, one set of each, if I remember correctly. I run a Classe CDP1 via XLR to the preamp and a single CA400 also via XLR. The net result is extreeemly quiet equipment. I hear nothing between songs except the clock ticking on the wall.

Sounds great playing my old vinyl recordings! Phono with both MM and MC inputs is built in, so one less component to buy! I've read repeatedly that it's one of the best solid state phono preamps out there. You have to determine the correct bias, however, for your particular cartridge, open it up and manually set the correct value to optimize cartridge output. Very carefully thought out!

Another thing I like about the DR6 is its rock-solid, tank-like construction. It always works perfectly, sounds great, and the pots are never noisy. Probably the best value out there for a thousand dollar preamp.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by aa3826 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
This preamp is spectacular! I Was using an Audio Research LS15 which was a bit lacking on the bottom end with certain recordings. I decided to try the Classe and I couldn't be happier. This preamp has such a warm sound you would think your listening to tubes. Imaging is excellent. The high end is smooth and defined but not rolled off. The midrange is pure silk. The bottom end is warm, solid and extended. It just fills in where the LS15 was a bit lacking. In other words it was more forgiving on the bottom end than the LS15. I will never sell the LS15 (it's an excellent preamp) but the one I will listen to is the Classe DR6r MKII.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by shosti23 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've used the Classe' 6 with phono for more than 7 years despite numerous changes to my system. Currently, I'm running the Classe into monoblock triode amps driving K-horns. Overall, I'd describe the texture as smooth; the grain one expects to here using a SS preamp isn't there. At the same time, the Classe provide dynamics and bass authority that many tube preamps lack. Transients are sharp and exciting - excellent at keeping the music's rhythm. On the other end, microdynamics are quite good -- for example, immediately following an orchestral climax, one clearly hears the reverb and decay within the hall. The staging is large and instrument/voice placement is precise and solid. The noise levels are low -- even using the MC stage with the volume set to 12, one hears a bit of white noise but absolutely no hum. Over the years, I've A-B'd the Classe against +$6000 preamps (SS and tube), and haven't felt the differences were enough to justify the extra expense.

NOTE: I have modified my unit 2 years ago by replacing the bridge rectifier in the main power supply with HEXFREDs. The improvement is not subtle. The sound loses much of the "dark" quality folks often mention -- the preamp takes on a lightening quickness and illumination that is startling. A very highly recommended modification.
Also, using good sound-isolation feet under the unit is key. The Classe uses lots and lots of poly caps for coupling and bypassing. Unforunately, they are very microphonic. Putting the Classe on sorbethane or whatever greatly improves overall clarity.

Submitted by Paul C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Reference Model. Very nice product that I purchased in 7.97 used, about a year old. Clean, dynamic sound. Very good value. Balanced outputs, phono especially nice, esp for solid state. Good Detail.

Even my kids use this.

Coupled w CA300.

Submitted by Benjamin Nearfield a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I had this pre-amp for about a 1.5 years and all I can say is praises. I compared this product to the likes of Krell and COnrad Johnson, again, for the money, this pre-amp is almost/or of equal to the other premaps in the more expensive price range. What I really like about it is its dynamics, sweet, tube like midrange and the airy highs. Sometimes people get confuse whether a tube pre-amp was used, only to be surpised that its a solid state pre-amp. I highly recommend this pre-amp. A good warm-up period would improve the sound alot so I usually leave the pre-amp on most of the time.

Atlantic Technology :