Classe CP-50 Preamplifiers

Submitted by Escaladeur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is indeed an excellent preamp. I was looking for something better than my McIntosh C712 and I finally found it. I owned a Conrad-Johnson PV10, an Audio Research LS3b, and a Krell KAV250p before settling on the CP50 as the one to keep.

The CP50 has allows inner detail and texture to come through much better than the others listed above. This is the most striking thing about this preamp. Also, the soundstage depth is fantastic, the width is good, and image stability is excellent. It is an excellent preamp all around. The remote is a work of art although using tiny allen screws for the battery access was a stupid idea. You have to be very careful when removing them to prevent stripping.

System synergy is paramount so I always list my associated equipment. Otherwise, the review is meaningless since the reference and context is missing. I use JM Lab Electra 926 speakers, McIntosh MC7200 amplifier, Classe CP50 preamp, and a Jolida JD100 tube cd player.

I have treated and tested my room to make sure my frequency response is accurate so that I can rely on my opinions. This is all too often overlooked by reviewers.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by cbb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow, this thing is terrific. OK, it's solid state, but it just kicked the pants of a stock Counterpoint SA-5 that I also bought (sorry Mike!). I normally prefer tube gear for the wonderous midrange (I listen to mostly female vocalists, folk, etc.), but this preamp is so well done, I'm going to have to put the SA-5 up for sale. Great toy. I am new to the CP-50, and have no manual; anyone wanna tell me how to turn the darn thing off other than pulling the plug?? No power switch that I can see. Canadian engineers from another planet, apparently.

System:
CA-300 amp (mmm!)
MicroMega stage 2 Cd
Randall TX & MIT MI 330+ series 2 interconnects
MIT MH 750 biwired cables
Von Schweikert VR-4s

Submitted by Dave de Villiers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
As mentioned in another review (CA-100), individual component reviews are dicey.

Having said that, this is one seriously good pre-amp.

At the time of purchase, I had orders a CP-35 based on what I could afford. The dealer had no inventory and the CP-50 was provided on loan. After a week, I rang the dealer and told him to cancel the order for the CP-35 as there was no way he was going to get this CP-50 back!

I then ordered the Classe' PHCP-50/60 bespoke phono stage module, which, on arrival, was retro-installed.

This combination is one serious vinyl reproduction engine!

My system certainly makes no claims to be an "ultimate" system - what it is, is a very well-balanced and synergistic combination - the sources (Theta CDT/DAC and Linn LP12/AudioTechnika AT-OC5) plus the speakers (Tannoy D700's) complement the Pre-Power combo from Classe' to produce a very listenable overall sound.

When I regularly clean out this amp/pre-amp combo with a vacuum cleaner and use Cramolyn to clean the connectors, I am always amazed by the combination of elegant layout (internally) and overall quality engineering that has produced something that sounds magnificent and will, probably, do so for as long as I remain on this green planet of ours.

Purchased At:   Audio Counsel

Submitted by vince a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Just bouhgt this preamp few days ago from a used dealer in san diego, hook it up to my system, and it sound fabulous, it kills my parasound PLD1100 in anyways!, i never realized i am missing something until i bought this preamp, there is more clarity and dynamics in this preamp,warm sounding too!, when i first got it, i played kenny G on my system and hell yeah! the saxophone sound is like in front of my face, clean and warm, tweeter is sweeeetttt, and bass are tight and punchy, definitely recommend this preamp to anyone, if you are looking for a dynamics clean preamp, this is the way to go, i am no audiophile person but i realized how this preamp make a difference in my system, and for VAL.R, this preamp will sound as good even without the gain and phase feature, and if you are complaining about a store that sells "B"stock unit or unit with CP45 remote, you shouldn't post it here, because this review is all about the unit it self!, and for god's sake you gave a 1 star rating, there is no way this product deserved that, it is just simply impossible.
highest rating, for value and quality!
peace!

Purchased At:   san diego

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Classe CP50 compared favorably to several other $2-3k preamps available because of its combination of sound quality, build, reputation and features. The ONLY other preamp which sounded as good was a model from BAT.

Highly recommended!