Classe CP-47.5 Preamplifiers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $2195.00

Two channel pre-amp

Submitted by dhardman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I’ve been through several preamps in the past 6 months. YS-Audio MK3, BAT VK-3i, and McCormack RLD-1. I auditioned the Spectral DMC-30 and it smoked them all. But it was about $1,500 out of my budget so I ended up empty handed. I stumbled across the Classe’ 47.5 (w/phono) in the “demo” section of a local audio boutique and was taunted into taking it home. (Art is good at that.) I let it warm up for a day before I listened to a single note of music from it. I was VERY impressed immediately. The clarity and neutral presence rivaled the Spectral and it was within the budget I had. My soundstage seemed to get about 15ft deeper and 5ft wider. The optional phono stage is very accurate and sounded much better than anything that I’d auditioned in that price range. (Got rid of an extra box on my rack too!)

I’d been using a McCormack DNA-125 amp and had a slight hum when I took the 47.5 out of “standby” mode. This continued when I acquired a Classe’ CA-201 amp. Puzzled, I went to XLR interconnects from the preamp to the amp and it is now DEAD QUIET. I’m VERY pleased with this combo.

Is it better than the Spectral? No. But for the $2,000 mark, anyone looking for outstanding value in a Hi-Fi grade preamp should take a long-hard listen to the CP-47.5.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Genesis Audio

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been thoroughly enjoying the 47.5 preamp for about 8 months now, and am amazed at how little "noise" the unit produces. Increasing the volume does not create additional line noise either. If you have a chance to look under the hood, you can't help but be impressed by the clean design and layout of the electronic innards. Plenty of capacitors provide quick, clean transient response for accurate piano attack and crisp clear vocals. I have this unit paired with a Classe' source and Classe' Amp. The speakers are Martin Logan SL3. A very nicely balanced sound overall.

Submitted by Greg Gale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have this matched up to a Classe CA200 using balanced inputs (MIT Shotgun 330 Proline). When I switch from the Tandberg preamp to the Classe I noticed an immediate improvement in Bass, clarity of midrange and less grain in the treble. The remote control is a joy to use. I especially appreciate, the mute which is a soft on and off. The amp is truely quiet. With the Tandberg, I could hear the tuner when I had selected CD with nothing playing through the line. With the Classe it is dead quiet. I also noticed the backround noise does not noticeable change from no volume to almost the highest volume I would use to play. For the money, I feel it is hard to beat. Orderd the phono section and have not had a chance to evaluate as of yet.

SFLAT: