Bryston PB 25 MC Preamplifiers

line level preamp with moving coil phono stage

Submitted by planeboy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Price paid: $1000.00

Just made a dream come true, I am not the one who will buy new although for the speakers I will.
I have a Nakamichi PA5 with the bryston PA25 speakers paradigm, the sound simply wow. the preamp lets
everything go through smoothly. Although my amp will be upgraded next, I find both working together gives out a good clean sound. If you have a chance to buy that pre-amp do it with your eyes close.

Submitted by Lou a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been an audio enthusiast for about 30 years and have followed Bryston's development into a leadership role in the audio world. Several years ago I had explored Bryston but was talked into purchasing something else. Now I have had the opportunity to buy the BP-25MM/MC and it is the perfect upgrade for my system. It does what a great preamp is suppose to, which is to be neutral and add no colorations. It passes all the music through without prejudice. This has its pluses and minuses. If the recaording is good the sound is good but the vice versa is a reality for having such an excellent unit. Randall Johnston is a top self straight shotting type of businessman.

Purchased At:   Sound by Johnston

Submitted by Robert a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:
I've had this preamp for about three months now and it took nearly that long to break in. From the start the bass was excellent and the moving coil phono stage was first class (I've rediscovered my vinly collection). However, it was not until recently that dynamics, imaging and staging really began to open up. The sound, to my hearing, is neutral and without coloration and dead quiet. I've always believed that is exactly what you want from a preamp, amp or any of the other electronics. Speakers, room accoustics, and the recording engineer already add enough to the sound. Why add more? With the addition of this preamp my favorite recordings never sounded better and I'm hearing more detail.
My only complaint is that the remote control, which is more like a steel ingot and heavy enough to make a nice doorstop, likes to drain batteries. I've gone through two 9 volt batteries in two months. That aside, this is an excellent product particularly for audio enthusiasts who keep equipment for a long time. I'm sure that other products in this price range are equally competent or have sound characteristics or features that are preferred. But if you value a 20 year warranty, quality design and manufacturing, and high-end sound, the Bryston PB25mc is a worthwhile investment.

FGH 26: