Boulder L3AE Preamplifiers

preamp

Submitted by BKTHIFI a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. Well made, reliable with great manufacturer back up. Lively detailed sound and relaxing to the ear for those long listening sessions late into the night. The preamplifier I used to compare the Boulder to was a Threshold FET 9E and I much preferred the Boulder L-3AE in all parameters that give pleasure to my ear. Previous reviews say it all. They are rare in the used market. If you see one snap it up You will not regret it.
Kudos to Boulder for one terrific preamp.

Submitted by Wineaux a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
Since there is very little information out there about the older Boulder amps and preamps, here's what I can add about the L3AE.

One correction to the previous review, AE series of products are based on the 990 gain module (the current 1000 series uses the 983 module).

I got the L3AE because of my positive experience with the matching 102AE amplifier and extensive listening at a friend's house to Boulder 1000 and 2000 series. The L3AE has the Boulder house sound; which is detailed, fast, and neutral. Unlike the new Boulder products, it looks rather plain but the build quality is to the same high standard. Just move the selector knobs to feel the quality.

I picked up the L3AE because I wanted a more dynamic sound (my system is on the relaxed side). After replacing a Sonic Frontiers Line 2, the difference was immediately obvious. Suddenly the bass was more solid, the treble more extended, the loise floor was lowered, and dynamic contrasts were bigger. Great recordings sounded even better, bad ones even worse. The price one pays for audio truth.

In summary, a great value on the used market given the original price of almost $4K and the level of performance.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by SonicBliss a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I inquired about this breand becasue I wasn't familiar with it and a seller on Audiogon had raved about it. His comments were intelligent so I took it for what it was and called a local dealer who carried Boulder. Sound By Singer, One of the most reputable in the USA, told me a bit about Boulder. They had told me that the VP of the company had come down and they had done a demo with pieces from Levinson, Krell, Pass, Plinius and the likes against the Boulder L3AE. It took them to school. I agree with their assesment. I had a Krell Krc and the HR and a Levinson 28 and they don't compare. The Boulder does everything better. As soon as you add it into your system it changes drastically. Very smooth. The room opens up and Highs are crisp but not harsh or sharp to the ear. The bass is tight and accurate and has a conservative and classy punch. It just performs well and is a much more affordable unit than its competition at this level. I called Boulder and they told me the Boulder 1012, Which had the D/A converter and the Phono stage, is the same Pre as the L3 the only difference is the Phono and the D/A. That pre is 13,000. Essentially you are getting a pre at the level of 13,000 for 3700.00 retail. The same wiring and guts as the 1012 though. He said it was a great bargain. With all this said I bought it on those recommendations and it was the best thing I did. Patners well with an Aloia 13.01 I must say.

My System:

Cable----Cardas Golden Ref.
2 Panasonic 3700 DAT Rec's
Speakers---ALR Jordan Note 7
Cable-----MIT MI750 extended

I have found my version of perfection. I wish all who read luck on their journey. Our ears are all different and the fun of this obsession or hobby is the quest for perfection. Happy listening.

Purchased At:   Audiogon